Revolution

J000seph

Detail Decepticon!
968A2996-1899-4504-93E4-B13646AF3D88.jpeg

Why is an Iwata Revolution cheaper than an Iwata High Performance airbrush? Is a Revolution inferior quality? Inferior performance? Hypothetically, what is the difference between a .3 Revolution CR and and a HP-C+? I know that the head design is different, but is there a difference in quality or performance?

I love my revolutions. I've tried lots of airbrushes and for me, the revolution had superior feel and throttle response. I've seen comments that they are low end or whatever, they aren't. I would take one revolution over ten eclipses. Iwata "stumbled" upon a very very good design, IMO. I did a .3mm conversion on a CR model, and it is a detail beast. Not a micron killer, but a contender for all other spots available.

D227FA11-03F6-43E2-8321-D34FFED3C697.jpeg

I recently bought a GSI Creos PS-267. I don’t own a Revolution, but looking at the 267 I suspect that it is nearly identical to a Revolution CR. Except that the 267 is a .2 nozzle. If the only real difference between an Iwata Revolution and Iwata HP-C+ is a difference in nozzle size, the availability of a smaller nozzle cap for Revolutions would be a game changer.

I've had one in my hands for all of 30 seconds and I didnt even spray it so take this for what its worth;
I believe large portions of the revolutions are outsourced (possibly imported ahem chinese). Judging by the rough threads and rough air cap hole I'd say some inferior producer makes those parts. Probably the nozzles too IDK.
Anyhow all Iwata has to say about them are words like budget,bargain,value.

Last edited:
View attachment 54262

I recently bought a GSI Creos PS-267. I don’t own a Revolution, but looking at the 267 I suspect that it is nearly identical to a Revolution CR. Except that the 267 is a .2 nozzle. If the only real difference between an Iwata Revolution and Iwata HP-C+ is a difference in nozzle size, the availability of a smaller nozzle cap for Revolutions would be a game changer.
The revolution nozzle is a different design I believe
Your 267 uses a nozzle and aircap nearly identical to a b+

If i remember right , this is what I got from @DaveG.
Hopefully he'll check this out and tell us if im relaying this correctly
The 270 nozzle (same one for 267) was as far as could be told identical to a b+
The aircap hole was .0005" larger than a b+, at least for the one he checked

I havent really studied the revolutions but I think the nozzle and aircap setup is quite a bit different than the HP series.

I don’t own any “plus” Iwatas, but I compared the 267 to my HP-B classic and they are definitely different. The nozzle cap on the HP-B is much smaller in diameter.

587DC3A8-485C-441C-B338-82EF504A1E91.jpeg

Comparing the Revolution in photographs leads me to believe that the 267 could be similar.

3C374171-5D0D-468B-B2FF-354DA80DFBDF.jpeg

The 267 and 270 aircaps are definitely way different too , I'm definitely not discounting that it mat fit the revolution.
Just don't know the revolution nozzle difference. That may be an issue in crossing the two. Since I know the 267 and 270 use the same nozzle and its like a b+. No way to tell but to try i guess.

I don't have any Creos PS267 parts, but do have and use PS270 parts. The specs are as Robbyrocket mentioned - nozzle is the same as from an Iwata HP-B+ with new thread style, and air cap is very close - needle is completely different though, being 1.4mm instead of 1.2mm - so like an Eclipse needle with a very long taper.

I have only sampled a couple of Revolutions. The ones I tried were pretty hit or miss, and I felt the quality was not up to par with the HP series. I have been using and buying HP's since the mid 80's. and they have always been consistent. Right from the first one, to the newest one I have purchased.

Last edited:
I don't have any Creos PS267 parts, but do have and use PS270 parts. The specs are as Robbyrocket mentioned - nozzle is the same as from an Iwata HP-B+ with new thread style, and air cap is very close - needle is completely different though, being 1.4mm instead of 1.2mm - so like an Eclipse needle with a very long taper.

I have only sampled a couple of Revolutions. The ones I tried were pretty hit of miss, and I felt the quality was not up to par with the HP series. I have been using and buying HP's since the mid 80's. and they have always been consistent. Right from the first one, to the newest one I have purchased.

I wondered about that. Interesting

I was looking at the similarities between the GSI Creos 267 and the Tamiya Sprays Work HG and found a couple pictures. With the help of google translate I copied an interesting review. I will post below pictures:

84D7EBD2-0AF4-4E7A-8BFA-4A776037CB08.jpeg C60FEA16-4B36-4E2B-9DEF-7DF9517DE92F.jpeg

A brief history of Japanese airbrushing.

On the market there are 4 large firms of Japanese airbrushes of different price categories - Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo, Richpen, Iwata. The most authoritative among them is the company Richpen. Founded in 1956, it has extensive experience in the industry of spray guns and industrial nozzles.

Over time, they successfully entered the market of artistic instruments, becoming a serious player alongside the German Harder & Steenbeck. All the components for Japanese airbrushes are manufactured by one factory, changing some stylistic elements of the design for a specific customer firm. This is why many Iwaty have similarities with Tamia and vice versa. This work policy does not interfere with the quality, since all the details are carried out at the highest level and have an excellent fit.

Then the most interesting begins, those most distinctive details and trivia. Thanks to these little things, each airbrush has its own "character".

Just these "characters" we decided to compare and share our impressions.

Last edited:
Back