Right PSI to work with

P

PlaMo

Ok, here's my first noob question.

What is the right PSI to work with for a 0.3 needle. I am using createx illustration paint which I use straight from the bottle. I know that when I use reduced paint I should lower the PSI but I don't know how much.

I hope there's someone out there that can help me out.

Greetz,

PlaMo

Ok, here's my first noob question.

What is the right PSI to work with for a 0.3 needle. I am using createx illustration paint which I use straight from the bottle. I know that when I use reduced paint I should lower the PSI but I don't know how much.

I hope there's someone out there that can help me out.

Greetz,

PlaMo

Start out around 35 PSI , Being you are not reducing it and the batch you received you may either need to increase it to around 40 PSI or lower it to 30 PSI.
But a good starting point is 35.

thats a great advice,though what kind of airbrush are you using?i asume its a bottom feed,if so, you are in business.

To be honest though I'm using illustration paints at the moment with a 0.21 setup and am reducing paint to 3 part paint to 1 reducer, and it sprays well at 10 psi, unreduced through a 0.3 you could probably comfortably get away with 20? As herb said though, try higher and then reduce from there if you can/want

Interesting, I thought that unless the needle was a .5 createx had to be reduced by 40% or so.
I am going to start writing combo's down in a note book for ratio and psi.

thats for illustration paints though glasscraft, not normal createx line!

Unfortunately, there is no set guideline regarding psi settings. The psi one artist prefers can be dramatically different from another artist using the same equipment and reduction ratio. A variety of factors effect how the brush shoots at a given psi including paint viscosity, whether the paint has been reduced or not (and if so at what ratio), the surface you're spraying (absorbent surfaces are much more forgiving at higher psi settings) and even the temperature and/or humidity. If we did a pole to see what psi everyone on the forum prefers to spray at, there would be a lot of variation. The point is, play with different settings and find what works for you...

In the beginning, taking notes is probably a good idea. As your experience grows it will become more of a feel. Hope this helps!

gravity feed 20-25, bottle feed 30-35 un reduced illustration with a decent brush As said above there is no formula But you asked for a starting point and that was were i started when it first came out. You need the illustration reducer to make this paint work. Just my 2 cents
Have Fun Kurt

Back