Running out of paint

simonarvestrand

Double Actioner
Hi all.

Me and my iwata eclipse is running out of paint and need some suggestions.

At the moment i use mostly Com-art and paint mostly on paper, most b/w but tries to paint some colorful things to.

So what i need from you guys is a Suggestion of paints and stuff to buy .

Paint brand and maybe bases to use when to my b/w paintings.

All the paintstuff i need to get good at shading and do nice art.

I like spectra-tex atm, etacs good fun too if you want to try out some erasing techniques..Or even try out some uro's on metal..On the bases/substrates, why not buy some old motorbike tanks or car bonnets and try that out, if you do well there could be some good coin in it, if you don't just attack it with thinners and start again :)..When doing fine art I like to use cold-pressed 300gsm water color paper (Smooth), but any good surface like such ie clayboard, illustration board, foamcore are great to use..GL

Spectra-tex and etac is the two that i am tempted to try , many writes good things about them :)
Motorbikes and other stuff will come but it's a loong way , i need more practice i guess my 500cc atv will be painted some day :)

My english is not good but with bases i ment the clearbase and stuff to mix the colors with.
The colourmixing is the part i am struggling with most right now.

Does anyone one a shop in europe that has good price on spectra-tex?
Shops in uk works fine , often really fast deliverys from uk.

Nice to here that you suggest water color paper thats what i have been using the last week , i don't know if it is me or the paper
that made every work look better then the ones on other paper, but i like it. and its cheap.
illustration boards is tempting but with my tallent it's not worth the price :)

Last edited:
I like wicked and wicked detail, because they are so versatile, and work well an many different surfaces. But if you mainly use paper, that isn't an issue. I mainly use it for metal. It might be a good idea to see what's available locally, so that you can run out and get more if you like, without having to send off for it. Or maybe write to a couple of manufacturers and ask for samples to try out. When you've made your choice, go for black,white, and the primary colours (I would go for transparent primaries but thats just my choice), the reducer, and maybe a transparent base, and you'll be set. You can make almost any colour then, and should keep you going for some time.

Soz simon misunderstood the base aspect..Squishy makes a good point about what to buy, I do much the same. I rarely buy any opaque colors as I prefer to mix my own from transparents, this way I have both opaques and transparents from the same purchase..many use clear bases and such to extend the product a bit or to reduce it..personally I don't bother..I just use the paint out of the bottle, mix it up with a little water for reduction and then of course mix your colors from there.. Theres lots of good sites and threads here mate that deal with color theory and mixing ya paints..have a good look around and especially use the search function here as it has been discussed in many threads..GL

Soz simon misunderstood the base aspect..Squishy makes a good point about what to buy, I do much the same. I rarely buy any opaque colors as I prefer to mix my own from transparents, this way I have both opaques and transparents from the same purchase..many use clear bases and such to extend the product a bit or to reduce it..personally I don't bother..I just use the paint out of the bottle, mix it up with a little water for reduction and then of course mix your colors from there.. Theres lots of good sites and threads here mate that deal with color theory and mixing ya paints..have a good look around and especially use the search function here as it has been discussed in many threads..GL

How do you mix opaque paint from transparents I can make transparents from opaque by adding transparent base. I like wicked but hate the tip dry it has love etac and heard good things about trident. Give em a whirl find what you like then learn that paint system. All the ones mentioned are multi use paints.

I can make transparents from opaque by adding transparent base.

Not so much a true transparent m8, all ya doing there is is spreading out the pigment so it appears more transparent. Opaque color thinned out with transparent bases is def a valid way to go about building up a picture slowly though so no harm in doing so, but ultimately it is still a capped or buffered color as some refer to opaques as..It will still only get as dark as that capping or mixing allows, no matter how much you throw at it it won't go darker..True transparents will just keep getting darker and darker with each layer..and to make opaques, wicked answered that one :) One unfortunate aspect about doing it this way is that the opaque color you make tends to go quite pastel and can look chalky on a painting, to avoid this only use the minimum amount of white you can get away with or buy your opaques off the shelf as they do tend to look richer in color....:)

I have a real hard time to decide if i want to paint with opaq or trans i have used about 2 oz of each and like them both , the black trans is nice to paint with but the opaq looks greater , it feels like the trans gives more tip dry , but it can be something else

maybe use bth m8..Many like to build their main picture with opaques and then finish of with trans to bring a bit more depth and life to the piece. Pieces done in opaque only can have a bit of a flat look, working in transparent only looks light and colorful but it is much harder to do as color mixing takes place on the canvas..Using both I think is a good practice m8 until you want to venture out into other styles..GL

maybe use bth m8..Many like to build their main picture with opaques and then finish of with trans to bring a bit more depth and life to the piece. Pieces done in opaque only can have a bit of a flat look, working in transparent only looks light and colorful but it is much harder to do as color mixing takes place on the canvas..Using both I think is a good practice m8 until you want to venture out into other styles..GL

Sounds like a good way. Tanks for the information. time to buy and practice som more.

And i got away with it, but an angry eye from my wife :)

Now i can end with a little white on my paintings without cleaning and cleaning :)
to bad the shop is in us i guess the delivery time is 1-3 weeks

I saw someone at the KKBO 2 show paint a portrait of Elvis using black emulsion paint that you would paint your walls with in the house.
It was mixed with water and does take a bit of testing to get the right mix but for practise it works really well. IMAG0857.jpgThe same guy named "Ren" also painted a skull with japanese designs around it on canvas using the same emulsion mixture. Amazing work.

I brought a 100ml test pot for 1 pound and reduced it with 4011 Auto Air reducer, then filtered it to make sure there were no lumps. It was great for doing flood strokes and dagger strokes, general practise and sprayed through my 0.2 Iwata HP-B+ and as you can see from the pic above it can be used to produce some ace art.

Lee

¤$%#@ i did not read everyting in the webshop , at least 15 days before they get My badger Krome in stock!
then at least 1-2 weeks in deliverytime from the us. I want it now!!

No backorder note on the order or anything, but a text on the first page in the webshop that says at least 15days.
i hate shops that do like this!

¤$%#@ i did not read everyting in the webshop , at least 15 days before they get My badger Krome in stock!
then at least 1-2 weeks in deliverytime from the us. I want it now!!

No backorder note on the order or anything, but a text on the first page in the webshop that says at least 15days.
i hate shops that do like this!

Sucks, but at least you know it's on the way. In the meantime maybe research some things you'd like to try, or prep some canvass or sketch out some ideas, then as soon as it comes you're good to go.

It's hard to see it on the bright side :)

My eclipse works good but i really don't like the trigger, i hope krome fits me better.

Back