Rust on track

themack

Young Tutorling
Hi

I would like to represent rust on rails and irons on a 1:45 railway track . I tried mixing different colours like burnt umber , different reds and browns, sepia and copper for metal effect, but I am not happy with results. I am trying to paint this in one go, not in layers, as I would be otherwise painting forever .
Here a picture what it should look like.
gleisbau2.jpg

Thank you
Sandra

I’ve found that if I’m trying to mix a rust colour, I small drop of blue in with the refs and oranges helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think you will be able to get this in one shot. There is more going on there to do this. The color in the reference can be achieved with layers and texture. Trying to just use one layer will cause it to look flat no matter the color you use.

Unfortunately to get an effective rust look layers is the answer. Rust is not a solid block of one colour. Start with the lightest tone and build up the darker areas. You want to introduce some texture too. Try spraying through different materials, and add some speckling.

Thank you for your answers so far.
Perhaps I dont get away with layering after all, but it's 120 m track !!:eek:
Any tips on how to do this effectively?
Bearing in mind I have to weather every single sleeper with 3 layers anyway....

there is no real short cut in painting all those meters , it will all come down to layering like the others already have mentioned I would use a brown ocher as a base colour and play with layers till I get the various shades off "orange" rust colour and then use burnt umber and sepia for the textures in the rust

I would start with the lightest orange (not pure orange, but a mix to match the reference) and then using a darker version of the same, put some shadowing in giving it the contrast and depth. I would then put texture. I would also do two versions of the rust color to give the rusty texture some depth. Rust is not just one color...lol
That is how I would try it. Everyone has different approuches sometimes and an unique style...Try different things on paper or such and see which way works for the look you are after...
Cheers

I just did a search on youtube for weathering tracks - there a TON of them. Seems to me one of the friendlier methods is to use paint marker pens to get the base down. Would be easy to lay a base, and then go over with a few passes with an airbrush. Just food for thought...

I agree with all the above. Get a base down then shadow And spatter with a darker colour. It’ll come together pretty quickly that way.

Hi

I would like to represent rust on rails and irons on a 1:45 railway track . I tried mixing different colours like burnt umber , different reds and browns, sepia and copper for metal effect, but I am not happy with results. I am trying to paint this in one go, not in layers, as I would be otherwise painting forever .
Here a picture what it should look like.
View attachment 63512

Thank you
Sandra
I build, paint and weather scale models and diorama bases in 1:24, 1:35 & 1:16 scale, you cannot achieve a realistic look in one hit, it takes multiple layers. You will need to pick a base colour to spray and then build up in layers from there.

Okay, thank you all. I succumbed to the fact I need to layer. It's now called Project 2025...the year I probably finish the job...:sour::D

Back