Schoellershammer 4G and masking

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
I have a problem with using masking film and Shoellershammer 4G paper. It lifts the paint off. I first noticed it on my Pin-up competition piece when I used my 18 year old Frisket®. So with the Little Girl piece I opened a new roll of Frisket® but it still did it. Then I did a test to by changing to Artool's Artmask. It still got removed. I even tried other inks and it still lifted. It is not that I apply it and then tub it down hard. Just gently laying it down lifts it as well.

I do not have this problem on any other surface or paper. Anybody else having this problem? The paper is also new as I got it from Germany in January and been stored in a dark dry place while laying flat ie. under the bed.

Sometimes you get a bad batch of paper. That is supposed to be the best and you can scratch it and everything. Can you get a refund? Call the company.

Lowrider, I will see what the distributor say. They brought a 25 sheet pack in just for me it took 3 months via the ship. I'm gonna try another sheet and see what it does. The whole reason I got it is because of the scrape and erase quality which is working 100%.

Lowrider, I will see what the distributor say. They brought a 25 sheet pack in just for me it took 3 months via the ship. I'm gonna try another sheet and see what it does. The whole reason I got it is because of the scrape and erase quality which is working 100%.

A few months a go I looked into buying some Schoelershammer 4G at my local store, I asked them why it was so different than normal paper or cardboard and they explained the ability to scratch and erase just as you say, they also explained the reason for this which is that the paint stays on top of it where other papers soak in the paint making these techniques all but impossible, they warned me about the high risk of paint lifting with masking tape or Frisket.

I didn't bother to buy any because of the ridiculous price of the stuff, €22 for an A2 sheet, not an amount I would want to pay unless it was making me rich.

I think your only solution would to be to make your masking or Frisket less tacky, I've read somewhere else on the forum that you can do that buy sticking it first to your skin or your clothes before placing it on your work.

I also think it's obvious that the scratch and erase quality would cancel out other qualities such as the paint's adhesion on this particular surface, therefore I doubt very much if there is a manufacturing fault in this particular batch.

When I have to repaint previously painted foam planes, I use standard 2" masking tape to remove as much as the the old paint as possible to avoid adding weight, this works very well.

I believe Marissa use this stuff too, but on any photo's I've seen of her classes, she is almost always using a large print out of her subject cut into a stencil and places that over her work, I haven't (as yet) seen her use Frisket.

I use the 4G a long time ago and never happened it to me with Artmask or Frisket, but it is noticeable that in some cases, with time, the mask have the tendency to have a stronger clive. Sometime the best is before pull it, warm a bit with a hair dryer. Can also have some defect on that serie, from the factory production line. Nothing like contact the company.

my friend, i also had that problem,but with other kind of paper,try as madbrush said or use some fixative over the painting, to avoid peeling.that has worked for me.

Back