Scrubby hair (horse)

pcDoc

Gravity Guru
Hi,

I´m currently working on a horse for my daugther and it turned out to be more time consuming as I originally planned! ;)

I´m almost there and I´m pretty happy with the result, but there is one part, which I guess I spent far too much time on, especially because I consider that as the worst part of the entire art work.

Is there an easy way to do hair like the one attached? The quality of the original picture is not the best and unfortunately contrasts are far to high, but you know how kids are.. "I want this one please! Nothing else, just that one!"

This is not "normal" hair, but more scrubby and if you look at some specific hairs you will notice it is not a "straight line". Not sure how I should describe that, but it is wavy and sometimes snapped off.

Initially I tried to scrape it, but the look was different. I ended up doing it with the Airbrush in very thin strokes at slow speed, which gave that kind of Hair, but as the rest of the fur is scraped I´m not 100% happy with how both look together. Even though I´m at a point where I could live with it (and my 3 year old for sure), I was wondering if you have a better way to do it. More realistic, similar to scraping, would be great.

I did it on Schoellerhammer 25x35cm paper. (On canvas I would do it again with the airbrush only.)

Thanks!

Andreas

Attachments

• horse hair.jpg
    horse hair.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
This is how I'd go about it:

1: The fuzzy hairs sticking out. This is just airbrush work, dark hair against lighter background so this will be hard to scratch (make sure the background is finished first) There are a few colors going on so I'd start with a medium brownish paint and start putting down scribly lines. Next I think I'd use sepia for the darker scribly hairs/parts. just keep layering those scribly hairs and eventualy you should get the desired effect (will take a bit of time). For the fading and verry vague hairs just add a lot of transparant base to your paint so your scribly hair won't be so pronounced.

There is nothing wrong with grabbing a color pencil to do some detail here by the way :)

2. Blurry hair. layer one burnt umber or sepia to get the basic lights and darks and some hair texture (dagger strokes). Next you can use an erasor pencil to blur it all. As you did hairs wth daggerstrokes you will keep the vague texture of hairs. Add color (transparant :p), erase highlights if needed and maybe reaply color. Burnt umber with a touch of blue or sepia for the shadows (this is decribed somewhat more elaborate in my lion and grumpy kitty step by step on the forum)

@markjthomson: Thanks, but I know how to do "normal" hair, that is not the issue. As mention I´m struggling with that wavy hair, which at least I couldn´t scratch. And I´m not aware of any tutorial showing that. Long wavy hair of a human in a considerable size does work, but in this case the entire hair is 3-5cm and more shaky than wavy. That would mean changing direction every couple milimeters. When I tried doing that it looks too hard. When I tried to do it softer it looked almost like "normal" hair.

@haasje dutchairbrush: Thanks! This is how I ended up doing it in the end. Airbrush and pencils. Maybe the tryouts at the beginning already messed it up too much, so the end result couldn´t be much better. But if that is the right way to do it, then I will try it next time like that from the beinning.

Last edited:
@haasje dutchairbrush: Thanks! This is how I ended up doing it in the end. Airbrush and pencils. Maybe the tryouts at the beginning already messed it up too much, so the end result couldn´t be much better. But if that is the right way to do it, then I will try it next time like that from the beinning.

I'm not saying it's the right way, it's just the way I'd aproach it. I'm sure there are other methods :)

ps this diclamer is just so that if you mess up you can't blame me :p

ps this diclamer is just so that if you mess up you can't blame me :p

This is the only reason, why I posted that question here! Always good to have somebody to blame! :malicious:

If others have different methods, I´m thankfull for every other approach as well.

I think in the future I will be more carefull in choosing the original picture. I checked some other pictures of horses which would have been much easier than this one! That is the luxury I have doing that as hobby only! ;)

Back