Sean Chappell saying hello!

S

Sean Chappell

Hi all,

Sean Chappell here. I'm new to airbrushing but I'm not new to painting. I've been doing it for twenty years. I recently picked up the airbrush as a way to speed up my process and work bigger than I have in the past. So far, things are slow. I still don't have a lot of time to practice. That's all going to change this November :)

Here are a couple of pictures of mine that I've painted so far with traditional brush techniques. I'm hoping to be able to approximate the look of these pieces with airbrush. I have a feeling I'll have to mix in a few brush techniques to really get what I'm looking for but I'm just starting. Who knows how specific I'll be able to get with my Iwata Eclipse! Looking forward to finding out :)

Greeting from Cambridge, Ontario.

Attachments

• PostcardPumpkinIntroversion72dpi.jpg
    PostcardPumpkinIntroversion72dpi.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled(VulvaFace)72dpi.jpg
    Untitled(VulvaFace)72dpi.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 18
Hello back Sean from the UK :)
Nice work! Definately something an airbrush is capable of, but its a bit of a journey to get there. The eclipse is a great brush, good for larger coverage (although define large, other brushes give more coverage), but is also capable of hairline work, it just takes a bit of time to learn to get the best out of it.

As for time saving, not too sure about that. I've never painted much with a hairy brush so have no idea how long it takes, but an airbrush can take a few mins for a quick background, to a hundred hours of detail depending on what you paint. But that might just be me lol.

Welcome to the forum Sean, you have a good airbrush so all you have to do now is get some practice in. You will soon be spraying away and quite a few of us use paint brushes in our work.

Lee

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm hoping to shore up my airbrush skills quickly. I have all the other artistic skills well in hand. Of course, airbrush requires a bit of rethinking (did I say 'a bit'? Sounds like an understatement ;) ) but I'm getting there. I love the nuances. I love the use of stencils. I love the versatility. It's going to be an awesome journey :)

Back