Second (and older) Thayer & Chandler Model AA: A less common version of the A

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

I recently posted about the history of the Thayer & Chandler Model AA, which is a less common variation of the popular Model A, and my adventure restoring one. You can read about it in the following link (so I don't repeat here). https://airbrushforum.org/threads/thayer-chandler-model-aa-a-rare-version-of-the-a.24761/
Well, long story short, in the jumble of parts where I rescued the initial AA, there were enough parts to make another AA!
While I chose the best parts for the first AA, this second one needed far more work.
2v2eBfLa2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eB6hDrxJ21ND.jpg

Serial number is much lower and the trigger is the older style. This is definitely an older version. This is the same picture I posted in the other thread as "still in progress".
2v2eB6ABGxJ21ND.jpg

I threw everything I had at the body. At the end we shook hands and declared a draw.
2v2eBWkSGxJ21ND.jpg

The all important AA nozzle was found hiding under the wrong regulator. Needle chuck and handle were taken from the jumble of parts.
Needle polished as per my usual process.
2v2eBWkTWxJ21ND.jpg

And here it is with a smaller cup that was another adventure in itself as it had decades old dried paint all over. I just LOVE those dark blue handles.
2v2eBWkhqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eBWkLdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eBWkgyxJ21ND.jpg

Only 4 digits serial number. The other is 5 digits.
2v2eBWkGNxJ21ND.jpg

Regulator is not mint by any means.
2v2eBWknWxJ21ND.jpg

Two AAs reunited!
2v2eBWkFnxJ21ND.jpg

But wait, there's more!
They both came in one box and case, which was cleaned and serviced as well.
2v2eBWkNyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eBWkjNxJ21ND.jpg

The outer box has the serial number of this second (older) AA hand written. t is a bit faded so I assume that was written a long time ago.
2v2eBWkznxJ21ND.jpg

So based on the circumstantial evidence, I think this second AA is from the late 60's while the other is most likely from the 70s or even later.

Finally, a quick test.
I need to do further testing but my first impression is that the other one may spray a little bit better than this one. Of course I need to find its sweet spot and happy place for optimal performance so take that with a grain of salt.

What do you think?
I hope you like it. Comments and questions are always appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael

Back