Second Brush to pair with Iwata Eclipse

I have done this about 20 times and all I get are bubbles. Thank you for trying!
I was editing my previous post. You got some fast fingers... I had issues with my nozzle like year ago, I was crying for help on this forum. :D I soaked that nozzle for 24 hours until if finally was good. I understand your pain. :)

I am sure others will know what to do. I am your buddy until they come, so you don't get bored waiting :laugh:

The air cap on the Eclipse serves a few purposes. he first is to aid in aligning the nozzle. The front, inner cone is shaped to fit the outer contour of the nozzle. The second function is to seal the nozzle against the inner contour of the brush body at the nozzle base. The cap adds pressure to the cone, forcing into the brush body to complete a surface seal. The holes around the circumference at the front then guide air out over the nozzle. The least important part of the assembly would be the O-ring around the threads at the bottom of the assembly. Virtually all the action takes place in front of that.

Now, if you overtighten the air cap, it is possible to compress the nozzle, thus distorting it. It will no longer be able to create the seal it needs to, and you will experience air entering the paint stream as bubbles in your cup.

If you have scratched the conical shaped taper inthe brush body, where the nozzle sits, you will not get a seal, and air will enter the paint stream.

I would suggest using the air cap off the new brush, along with a new nozzle to test the old brush.

DaveG, et.al.,

Fully understand your explanation of the air cap on the Eclipse series of brushes. I was trying to use the delta between the old and new airbrush in the gap I have seen in the o-ring area as a potential concern for sealing at the tip or tail of the nozzle body, just as you described.

I have swapped parts for all combinations and have found that with the air cap from my old airbrush, the seal of the nozzle is very intermittent and sometimes I get bubbles in the cup, other times I do not. With the new air cap, on either body, I do not get bubbles with either needle/nozzle set.

I have found that if I twist the nozzle in the body before installing the air cap, I can get a very good chance of a good seal with proper operation. Seems that my original airbrush is just a bit finicky and I will need to pay extra attention when reassembling after cleaning. The new airbrush seems more robust in this regard.

Thanks all!

Back