Seeing where you are spraying.

otpowell

Double Actioner
Just curious, any tricks when it comes to this? I had a instance where I was using transparent fluorescent yellow yesterday, and without knowing it went on too thick. It wasn't until I looked at it from an angle that I noticed how thick it was. Maybe I just need more light. I also herd UV light is a good spectrum to apply clear coat in or catch flaws.. I don't see the pros doing this. I have tried a black light on some rattle can clear and it is very good for distinguishing drips or inconsistencies. I Just have to be more careful and pay attention to the paint hitting perhaps.

It is mainly practice and lots of it. Learning to use your equipment and how each paint system works.
Being right now you have several paint systems on hand you have not had the time or practice to learn any of them.
Pick one and spend at least a full month using nothing but that. than switch.
Being a southpaw and using your thumb to work the trigger it would be harder to tell you how to aim your airbrush. That is something the doing several pages of dots would be a big help on. it would allow you to work out your system of how you need to control your airbrush.

Well, I haven't broke into my HOK yet.. I mostly stick to spectra-tex.. Trying to get to the point where I can paint something without any mistakes and have it look nice. This is what I was painting yesterday and as you can see, the left side of the sun, it's just too much. I'm sure everyone Will analyze and give me some more suggestions.. I suck at making the mini sparkles so was using a straight edge. Don't think that works for the real small ones. I'll just have to practice making mini dagger strokes until I get it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359907012.482374.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359907130.002301.jpg

Your can make you a template for the star burst , You mainly spray dead center and the the over spray make the live.
Are you building your paint in layers ?
It kind of looks like you are going for full color on the first pass. I am judging this around the yellow area,

I have no idea. Lol. I think I was going for full color when I put the orange on. I should do thinner coats and layer it like you said.

That pic I took, comparing it to the actual image, looks kinda weird in the pic. Looks nicer in person. Just an ipad pic.

That pic I took, comparing it to the actual image, looks kinda weird in the pic. Looks nicer in person. Just an ipad pic.

Picture taking never look as good as the real life in hand does , But it is hard to share the real thing with everyone at once without taking a picture.
You will find what works for you , you just have to try different ways and thing.

I'm going to make a template for the star burst. I saw that they have a star burst template @ Chicago airbrush supply. I didn't think it would be something I could do nicely with an xacto knife cuz it's such small lines. I'll give it a try though. Also, Iike that art tool cosmic template. Any ideas how to get a texture like that without buying the template? I might just buy it but I'd rather save the $ for some 2k clear and a finex spray gun and some KK paint. I also need to take some airbrush classes. I have lots of materials available for say carbon fiber, and snake skin, I poked some holes through a baby wipe in an attempt to make my own cosmic template. Lol. Haven't tried it yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359909847.571880.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359909366.374623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359909366.374623.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 33
Just go to Hobby Lobby with the 40% OFF COUPON and buy the texture fx set ,, you will love it and it has some many uses.I bought the small sized set and it comes in handy for a lot of thing.
Only thing I do not like about the set is the material it is made of , Seems a bit on the fragile side. But so far I have no broke any of the main parts off....

Just go to Hobby Lobby with the 40% OFF COUPON and buy the texture fx set ,, you will love it and it has some many uses.I bought the small sized set and it comes in handy for a lot of thing.
Only thing I do not like about the set is the material it is made of , Seems a bit on the fragile side. But so far I have no broke any of the main parts off....

I did the same at Hobby Lobby with the same stencil. I don't like the material it is made from either. But like you said it seems to be holding up with paint and I have yet to break any thing on them. I wonder if they had to use that type of material because all the intricate cuts that are involved in those stencils. Might melt the other type of material.

I did the same at Hobby Lobby with the same stencil. I don't like the material it is made from either. But like you said it seems to be holding up with paint and I have yet to break any thing on them. I wonder if they had to use that type of material because all the intricate cuts that are involved in those stencils. Might melt the other type of material.

I am not sure being the larger set is made of the same stuff and I the Aztec has about as many smaller opening and is made of the regular mylar..

I am not sure being the larger set is made of the same stuff and I the Aztec has about as many smaller opening and is made of the regular mylar..

So much for my theory then!! Either way I like using the texture stencils. I want to get the bigger set next. Not a big part of my "Must get list" but definitely on my "One day I will get it " list!! Haaa!!

So what other kind of stuff can you use for cool textures? I know about the non-slip mat thing for carbon fiber. I know how to get brushed aluminum, grass with real grass.. I know how to use steel wool for clouds. I know how to do the snake skin thing wish mesh.

Cotton and even the scotch brite pad can be used to do clouds ,rocks and even seen a guy use it for fire.
Used dryer sheets for leather ,
But you know this should be on a post all to it's self because it is a great subject that a lot of people can add to .

Cool, never herd of the leather one. I just started a new post. Check it out under general airbrush

I changed to daylight bulbs, makes a world of difference particularly when working with colour.

Back