Shading over Yellow

• Thread starter Stu-Art-Designs1244
  • Start date
S

Stu-Art-Designs1244

Whats the best color to use for shading over yellow? i want to paint a pic of a yellow car and it has some dark yellow places that are shadows, but if i use black it will turn green! someone said brown is best but im not so sure, what do you guys think? also i thought sepia would be quite good as its a kinda mustard yellow!

any help would be great

thanks

Whats the best color to use for shading over yellow? i want to paint a pic of a yellow car and it has some dark yellow places that are shadows, but if i use black it will turn green! someone said brown is best but im not so sure, what do you guys think? also i thought sepia would be quite good as its a kinda mustard yellow!

any help would be great

thanks

You can use Lilac/purple very lightly, the simple rule is to use the color directly opposite on the color spectrum/wheel, i don't know if you actually have a wheel, but they ere very handy to have even if it's just for that.

I would suggest a test sample before you proceed, since it will depend on how yellow your color is, generally if your yellow is leaning towards green, your purple should lean toward more red and so on, Mitch's color wheel tutorial was ideal for that because you can actually see how the colors change as go around the wheel, the important rule being completely opposite, although for a smaller painting you wouldn't need to be so precise.

Using transparent for your shading is also safer to avoid too much at one time.

ahh yh, i did think of the color wheel :) thanks will give that a look :)

I'm with Madbrush. Use the opposite colour namely violet or shades of it. Just a lick and promise as it will quickly change the yellow.

EDIT: oh and remember to keep the tonal value the same. If it's a pale yellow, it needs to be a pale violet. Bright yellow, bright violet.

Last edited:
I totally agree with both of these fine gentlemen :)

Josh
"Sometimes you have to let one slip......just to remind people your $#!+ really does stink ;)

I totally agree with both of these fine gentlemen :)

Josh
"Sometimes you have to let one slip......just to remind people your $#!+ really does stink ;)

Me? Fine gentleman? not entirely sure about that, but I do my best, lol

lol. cheers guys, i did try purple over yellow once and it didnt look right, idk maybe i was usin wrong purple or summit! this is the pick im goin to do!

Yellow scoob.jpg

lol. cheers guys, i did try purple over yellow once and it didnt look right, idk maybe i was usin wrong purple or summit! this is the pick im goin to do!

View attachment 14293

it needs to be very very light and transparent, just the same as if you were shading over white black, you need to gradually build it up till you get where you want, it would look right if there is too much in one go.

If I might suggest painting some yellow circles to practice on and then try to turn into spheres with your transparent lilac, it will work it's just a case of practice.

looking at this car, using stencils, you could probably hit all the darker parts very quickly in one foul swoop.

The face that your yellow turns green with black is exactly the same effect as "blue shift" but the because blue mixes with the yellow you obviously get green, this will always happen, it happens even with bright reds except they end up purple.

If you try the sphere, please post them.

i will deffo do some practice first, gotta buy some trans violet first as mine seems to have all gone lol

I dont want to hijack, but i got a question on the same subject.
Say you want to do blue shading over yellow (or yellow shading over blue)and you dont want it to turn green, what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to hijack, but i got a question on the same subject.
Say you want to do blue shading over yellow (or yellow shading over blue)and you dont want it to turn green, what to do?

It's impossible, you'll always get green when put blue over yellow or vice verse, the only way to avoid it is to add red, but wait, then you have purple, lol

The reason that you get blue shift with black over white is that blue, red and yellow are used to make up the black, and the blue is the most dominant color of the three so it tints the white to blue, but the blue will also affect any color you put it on.

I avoid using black altogether and usually mix an umber or dark brown color to start my painting, I will generally only use black for tinting color or for adding light shading when a piece is almost finished, I hate the sight of blue shift, it depresses me, so i do all I can to avoid it.

yes, avoid black (also white in some cases) as much as possible.

test on some waste papers and note down somewhere the results of your "experiments".

you cant learn something unless you make mistakes and find solutions.

try this: take a few drops of primary yellow or lemon yellow, mix a little scarlet to get orange shade and a little burgundy to get the color you want and adjust the tone.

or

mix the darkest color of the car, mix the lightest color of the car. apply the lightest color to the whole car, do shading with the darkest color you have mixed.

Last edited:
You don't put the violet over the yellow, you mix it together and then use that as the shading colour.

everyone is correct,but incomplete.what you have to do(at least in my humble experience) is to start light and then go on darkening WITH the same yellow if you started with a very dilluted color(add more color to the misture until no more) upon the shades.if not, you have to SEE and understand the yellow this means where is pure yellow and where starts the shade and add, lets say raw sienna,to the shades,then the deeper the shade more raw sienna in to the mix.in both cases at the end you can add a misture, but very thinned or reduced mix of yellow with violet, in equal ratios.finally you can pass again just with violet at a very reduce ratio ALL over the painting.this helps to pop the color.in watercolor painting this is known as glazing.the most difficult thing to do is to start with a big block of one single color and then start to shade,lights and shades are worked from the very begining,so you can be able to "model" or "construct" the coloring,see where is needed more or to erase or leave it as it is.

sorry bro, in shading,no matter what it is (pencil,oils,acrylics etc)is no inmediate solution,you have to work it very slow.

hope this helps!!!and that i made my self understand.if you wish i can start a thread in color theory.

If you blow the picture up in the shaded area under the door that dark shadow it is a green shade. On the rear bumper the shading is an orangish gold I have a crazy habit of analizing color from a tattooist point of view there is no mixing colors on the skin you turn it to hamburger so you have to nail the color the first time or keep your blend minimal.

Last edited:
yes!!!you are right strictly attitude, you said it better than me,you have to understand the colors involved,the variations done by the lights or the shades.and that is not just a tattoist point of view.every artist does this,the difference is how we approach it and solve it.how we get to those colors and not leave them as blocks is the problem.you have to cut some paper in a square,circle doesn´t matter,to isolate every piece of the car and see what color really is.thats a way to solve it.

and by the way is not a crazy habit!!!

Back