For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

shark panel jammer- alearning experience

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Tommy Beyl, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Tommy Beyl

Tommy Beyl Double Actioner

This past weekend I got two shark pannel jammers from coast airbrush. The goal was to make a hotrod shark with candy chrome flames. along with the panel jammers I also got a warwick 878she minigun. There are several issues I ran into along the way so I am going to post this as a wip even though it is done.
    First I put on a glossy black base coat with createx 4258 and let it dry over night. there is a significant luster difference between the gloss black and the panel jammer powder coat. I let the paint dry over night for more than 12 hours and then I taped the flames using fsb fine line and fsb masking I then shot the flames using createx quicksilver chrome. the first real problem came when I pealed the masking tape. it left residue/marks in the gloss black base.

How do I avoid this in the future? More dry time?
    IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3080.JPG
    doc1, jord001 and musicmacd like this.
  2. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think the masking tape sticks too strong or the adhesive of the tape is not optimal for the Createx colors. Sometimes the plasticizers get out and the glue on the adhesive tape remains on the surface. With a mild silicone remover, it sometimes works to absorb these residues. But first test at a test area. Often the structures of the impression remain visible on the surface.
    jord001, Tommy Beyl and musicmacd like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Ok, I’ve had chance to double check a few things:
    What you have is AUTOAIR. Because AUTOAIR and Createx generally play well together it’s technically not a biggie in this case but there are times that not giving accurate info can lead to incorrect guidance and frustration all round.

From the Createx tech site.
    Times approx for 70F (21c)
    You lay down your first coat
    Your 2nd coat should be 10-15 minutes later.
    Taping/masking shouldn’t happen until 45-60 minutes after your 2nd coat.
    Top coat clear is another 60-90 minutes after your last coat (that you sprayed after masking)

Soooo if you’re not waiting about an hour after your last coat before you mask then you’ll have problems
    jord001 and Tommy Beyl like this.
  4. Tommy Beyl

I did a light first coat but only waited 2 minutes before adding a wet coat of the base and then 5 minutes later added a second wet coat. Then I let it all dry for 13-14 hours before taping. I am still learning to dial in the mini gun so next time I will follow what you prescribe Jack. I was mainly following the advice Craig Fraiser made in his 1 hour video on spraying gloss black and createx quicksilver. But Fraiser was using an airbrush, and I probably hogged on the paint too much in each layer and did not wait long enough between coats.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Tommy Beyl

I'll have to look into silicone remover for future projects. on this one I kept going. I tried to wash with water and dish soap, then moved to, physical rubbing with a q-tip, and finally alcohol which removed paint. so I touched it up with an airbrush and then finished out my chrome effects. The close up shows the semi failed touch ups and the second shows the full chrome work from a distance. So the touch up wasn't perfect but I was very happy with the chrome.

Attached Files:

doc1, jord001 and Micha der Wolf like this.
  6. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I’m certainly not going to argue with Craig Frasers advice lol but with your new info I would suggest the first two coats didn’t fully cure. The thicker the coat the longer it will take to fully cure.
    Sounds like your thoughts are along the same track. ALWAYS let your layers (sealers/primers/base coats/paint) fully cure before moving on
    jord001, Tommy Beyl and SiRoxx like this.
  7. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Nice job on the flames. The layout is great and the chrome looks to have laid down nicely too.
    For my 2 cents worth I think Jackie is right about not leaving enough time between coats. I have recently done a couple panels with different Autoair / Createx paints through and fun and they have set hard as a rock. The other option is to spray some Intercoat over a base colour that’s cured to give it some extra protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Tommy Beyl

Thanks Guys! for those of you that want to see the final product here it is

The candy was initially sprayed with too low a psi and it was forming large spots on the chrome like leopard print. I increased the psi and quickly added the second coat to pool out the dots. it worked on the dots but the color is a little over dark. The clear coat is 2 stage and it formed some bubbles on the surface. Learned a lot and now I need to read up more on bubbles in clear coat.
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  9. Tommy Beyl

started in on two more panels. One is just the reverse side of the teal flammed panel. Scuffed grey scotch bright and cleaned with alcohol. then sprayed a light coat and let dry for a solid 15-20 minutes then sprayed a wet coat. I see tiny little bubbles in the surface of both after 2 hours of dryinf. If I do a 3rd coat will that clear up the bubbles? I won't be able to spray again until tomorrow evening.

Attached Files:

jord001 likes this.
  10. Tommy Beyl

looking at it this morning it looks like it is a little textured and does not shine/reflect as much as I think it should I plan to do a 3rd coat. but may have to wait til tomorrow am. The afternoons are pretty hot 90 degrees and I am worried that is afecting my results as well. I'd love to spray this am but I leave at 7 am and my compressor would wake the neighbors :)
    jord001 likes this.
  11. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Are they bubbles or bumps...
    It sounds to me that you are lacking in the prep department and that is dirt under the paint. First, clean area with soap and water, rinse with water, scuff with a red scotch pad or approx. 600 grit to allow for a good surface for the paint to bite into. Clean again to remove dirt and sanding dust with a good wax and grease remover...Paint base....
    You can wet sand the base with 1000 grit that you have down now to smooth it out and if needed apply another coat. It will not be shiny. It will shine up when you lay the clear on. You also need a good surface for your graphics to stick to. Water base paints need a mechanical bond, unlike solvent based that use a chemical bond.
    Prep of the surface to be painted is very important for a good paint job. You can paint a super job, but it is no good if it fails to stick or lays smooth....Nothing is worst than spending all that time on the graphics, to have it not adhere to the surface. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...lol
    Cheers and have fun...and I hope this makes sense
  12. Tommy Beyl

Thanks T-Wood there are a couple bumps but several are bubbles. I missed the first wash step but I roughed with a scotch bright and then really went over the panel several times with 100% alchohol and waited 5-10 minutes for it to flash off. The key on this particular black paint for the chrome base is it has to be shiny so whatever final layer I get it cannot be sanded in anyway or the mirror affect won't work. I suppose the real lesson might be that I am playing with materials a bit too advanced for my skill. I might try sanding the current layer of black to even things out and then tray my third layer.
    jord001 likes this.
  13. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

If they are bubbles, it means it is not adhering to the surface and/or there is greasy contaminants left behind by your hands or fingers....
    I did forget about you needing a gloss black for your chrome....I think at this point, I would sand down and start over. If the base is not sticking , once you tape it off for the flames, you will pull it up when removing it....
    Cheers
  14. Tommy Beyl

Thanks TWood
    jord001 likes this.
  15. Tommy Beyl

One last thought. I typically clean out my airbrush and gun using q-tips, brushes and laquer thinner from the box stores . Once physically clean and reassembled I typically run just 2-4 ml of 4012 through the gun or plain water. Is it possible the thinner is leaving residue that is messing up my water based paints? Easy to change paint harder to change habits and suppliment supplies. I just ordered more black base and 4012 since I was nearly out of both.
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  16. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Running 4012 through after cleaning shouldn’t be causing any problems. You can always run some straight water through after the 4012 to be sure though.
    I’m going to guess that this could be an issue with the second coat. Where you say you put a “wet” coat on, most of the Createx products don’t work well going on too heavy, lots of light layers are the best way to avoid any adhesion problems and allows the water to escape without becoming trapped under a heavy layer and causing bubbles etc.
    Now obviously “wet” is not an exact science and I don’t know how much paint you put on, so this may not be the issue. But going to the Createx website and watching some of the tutorial videos might help you determine if there was simply too much paint too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001, Tommy Beyl and twood like this.
  17. Tommy Beyl

Okay here is my second shark. There are bumps in the clear but those bumps were in the same place on the base coat. I think the panel Jammers are less than mirror flat to begin with so I need to probably do some base prep work if I want it perfect mirror. I got good reflection and good clarity on the candy without being too dark overall better than the firs run. Thanks for all the knowledge.

Attached Files:

SiRoxx, doc1, jord001 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jonathon

Jonathon Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Nice job
  19. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

That does look nice and glossy. Job well done.

Lee
  20. Tommy Beyl

Thanks guys. Both paintjobs are on one panel, front and back side. So throughout this upcomming week I plan to work on one side of my second panel. my daughter wants me to try reversing the process with Chromed base with caribe blue candy and black edging and faded flames. To get some fading effect with black what createx paint should I use? In the past working with spaz stix I used a black window tint that was like a very transparent black that you could build darker very slowly. Would wicked detail smoke black work as a slow build transparent black?