Sharpenair needle repair

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I bought a HP-b on Ebay that was advertised as new but when I got it, there was paint traces in the cup and on the needle. I didn't check much with it and cleaned it up real good. Started spraying and it just didn't spray right. So, I set it aside and didn't try it much for a while. I was cleaning all my brushes last week and took the needle out of it to clean good. Looked at it through a magnifier and the needle was bent pretty bad on the tip. That is why it didn't spray like I thought it should.
Also I bought a new H+S Infinity with .15 setup and when I got it it didn't spray worth a hoot. Took the needle out and it also was bent pretty bad also.
I went and ordered a Sharpenair and this thing is the best thing to come along since sliced bread came on the market. lollollollol
It didn't take but just a few minutes to straighten both needles and they both spray like they are supposed too.
It even comes with a polishing pad and it made them both real shiney and smooth.
Just a post to give thanks for something that works good.

Richard

I’ve looked at then a couple times and wondered if they worth having. Sounds like the answer is yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth having? Absolutely worth having! Mine paid for itself the very first day I had it, and ha continued to be a valuable asset to my aresenal.

Agreed, This is a great tool in the toolbox.
some people have made comments on the sharpen air facebook page that the same results can be had by 'honing it on the concrete floor' OK !!??
but anyone that has used one correctly has praised it highly. Some 'push' the needle in as they are turning it and thats not how its used. Gravity is all that is needed. Even Dru Blair has reviewed and praised it, so it cant be all bad lol

Yes i have one, yes i have used it a couple of times, yes i would recommend it to others. I still have spare needles in their packaging because of this device.
If you have any questions then the company owner is always happy to advise.

Worth having? Absolutely worth having! Mine paid for itself the very first day I had it, and ha continued to be a valuable asset to my aresenal.
Sounds good enough to me. Thanks DaveG

Agreed, This is a great tool in the toolbox.
some people have made comments on the sharpen air facebook page that the same results can be had by 'honing it on the concrete floor' OK !!??
but anyone that has used one correctly has praised it highly. Some 'push' the needle in as they are turning it and thats not how its used. Gravity is all that is needed. Even Dru Blair has reviewed and praised it, so it cant be all bad lol

Yes i have one, yes i have used it a couple of times, yes i would recommend it to others. I still have spare needles in their packaging because of this device.
If you have any questions then the company owner is always happy to advise.
High praise indeed! Yeah, I don’t get the “there’s other ways to do it” comments. I’m sure there are, but the simplicity of the sharpenair is what appeals to me.

High praise indeed! Yeah, I don’t get the “there’s other ways to do it” comments. I’m sure there are, but the simplicity of the sharpenair is what appeals to me.

That's what has me looking at it. Yeah there are a bunch of other ways but man, Size of a pack of smokes and no real moving parts. Simple as can be and not overpriced.
The only thing I'm curious about is this;
So the one model covers badger and Iwata and master and H+S and olympos.
Do all of those needles it covers actually use the same taper angle? I thought there was some variation even model to model.
If not is there a significant difference in the spray after having repaired a needle that doesn't match the taper angle the sharpenair uses?

Last edited:
That's what has me looking at it. Yeah there are a bunch of other ways but man, Size of a pack of smokes and no real moving parts. Simple as can be and not overpriced.
Do all of those needles it covers actually use the same taper angle?
If not is there a significant difference in the spray after having repaired a needle that doesn't match the taper angle the sharpenair uses?
close enough for government work - I have no complaints over the performance of any needle I have used this device to fix, minus one - which was an Olympos needle with a VERY long taper. I clipped the tip in an experiment, and went too far - I have not yet been able to re-shape the neede well enough to make it perform as it should - but, this is not fault of the Sharpenair.

when i bought mine they were offering model specific units, but i can see on their website that they now say its a universal unit with the exception of
DeVilbiss Dagr and certain Paasche models. Interesting.! Not a problem for me as i've only one non Iwata airbrush and thats a H&S which it seems is covered by the one unit

when i bought mine they were offering model specific units, but i can see on their website that they now say its a universal unit with the exception of
DeVilbiss Dagr and certain Paasche models. Interesting.! Not a problem for me as i've only one non Iwata airbrush and thats a H&S which it seems is covered by the one unit

It just struck me odd. Out of the needles i've compared the angle actually was the same, It only appeared different because the needle diameters were different ,but looking at some of Daves side by sides I knew there were some different angles.
From what Dave just said though I guess for a repaired needle, close enough is close enough for me.
Reading their site I guess the paasche's and dagr just have too much difference in shaft diameter so the other version uses modified runners.

I'm sure I'll end up with one of these, 3 or 4 repairs that take only a couple minutes is gonna pay for itself. Especially form a pocket size device that doesn't even so much as use batteries.

Last edited:
Looks like Sharpenair need to get some representation on this forum lol. They’d sell a bunch.

At $10 for a new needle you need to be very clumsy so make your money back. In 6 years I still have not damaged a needle except
Looks like Sharpenair need to get some representation on this forum lol. They’d sell a bunch.

Or the people here need to learn not to be so clumsy.

At $10 for a new needle you need to be very clumsy so make your money back. In 6 years I still have not damaged a needle except

Or the people here need to learn not to be so clumsy.
That works too Andre. I’m pretty careful with my tools. But I’ve already damaged one doing something silly. For me it’s the kind of thing that would pay for its self over years rather than months.

I think what surprised me when I discovered a bent needle was when spraying, it just didn't want to act right. Play with air pressure, mix and etc. Then I started asking myself " why won't this thing spray like it is supposed to ". It was only then that I looked at the needle with a magnifier. That was a total surprise because it looked OK with just my eyes. My vision is not the best anymore but I couldn't see the 45 degree angle at the very tip that was there. It would give me a small dot when air stopped and sometimes when air started. I played with pressure and tip dry techniques. All along it wasn't those but the bend was holding the paint on the very tip end of needle. It's not a total fix as compared to a new needle but as DaveG said, " Good enough for Govt. work ".

Back