Sharpenair question.

Keifer smeaton

Double Actioner
Hi just bought a sharpenair. I have a o.23 micron needle with a bit of a bend which I straightened as much an possible with a pliers, then used the sharpener but it isn’t taking the bend out I started on the far right hand stone and I did way more turns than is recommended but still the same any tips ?

Where is the bend? Starting at the far right does the tip, each slot to the left works a different part of the needle....

I usually use the smooth shaft of a drill bit to rub against the needle, while pulling the needle backwards - to help smoothen out any bends before going into the sharpenair. I use th emetal trim on my drafting table as a surface to work on while trying to smooth the needle...

The bend is about 1 mil down from the very top. I use the right hand slot to start as it’s the tip of the needs But it just doesn’t take the bend out

The bend is about 1 mil down from the very top. I use the right hand slot to start as it’s the tip of the needs But it just doesn’t take the bend out

The sharpeniar will not "unbend" a needle. It contains abrasive stones which help to smooth out areas that have been distorted by a bend. You need to manually smooth the area as much as possible prior to going into the shaprenair - If you can veiw FB accounts, I have this album I did explaining how I use it to restore needles that may be close to 100 years old...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1410891859016398&type=3

Back