Shiny and new PS290

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hi Guys and Girls,
I received a birthday gift at the weekend, a beautiful Mr Hobby / Creos / Mr Procon Boy (jeez they have a lot of names) PS290. It’s a .5 trigger brush with the option of a Fan cap.
First impressions are that it really is beautifully made. The chrome feels thick, but not too thick, just enough to make it feel really nice. The action is very smooth with a reassuring two stage trigger pull. I have had a little time to play and it really throws out some paint, but it’s easy to control and has an adjustable trigger stop too.
It was delivered quickly and well packaged from the good folks at Air-Craft, I’ve used them several times and they’re always great regarding delivery and their prices are excellent. Anyhow, here she is!
14d1f5f011e53e5f5ac561b97bcd8030.jpg

The only question I have is that while adjusting the fan I discovered that I need to have the cap slightly tilted to have the fan vertical. I have taken a photo, does anyone know if this is normal? I’ve never dealt with anything that has a fan pattern so have nothing to compare it too.
f6efe89992d55d50c6bf6d8562299578.jpg

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks a nice bit of Kit Si. You should just need the fan level for a vertical spray pattern, are you saying that unless you off set it a bit like in the pic it doesn't spray a vertical fan pattern? I don't think it will make any difference as long as the fan pattern is where you want it. I'm sure someone will pipe up with an answer if we wait.

Lee

awesome!!!
Im not sure if its normal in the 290 but for touch up guns which have really the same head design;
If your pattern doesnt stagger but is a straight line with no bulges or s shape or heavy spots then its fine.

On an aircap with only the two holes they cant point them perfectly straight at each other or it thins the line in the middle. Some guns stagger the holes then drill at a slight angle so the cap appears straight when the pattern is, some dont. Four hole caps correct with the second set of holes.

Being right handed I and most others tend to hold a gun with the bottom tilted slightly to the right. So i line the horns level and spray naturally. If the pattern seems tilted i turn the cap 180. Usually seems straight then...Maybe have to tilt it a hair.

That is a pretty heavy amount of tilt though......... Id suspect you might have a staggered pattern but....?
If youre right handed and im not reversing things in my head then the tilt does indicate you should turn it 180 though to lean into your natural tilt

Looks a nice bit of Kit Si. You should just need the fan level for a vertical spray pattern, are you saying that unless you off set it a bit like in the pic it doesn't spray a vertical fan pattern? I don't think it will make any difference as long as the fan pattern is where you want it. I'm sure someone will pipe up with an answer if we wait.

Lee
Sorry Mate, I wasn’t very clear. That’s going for a vertical fan, so I’m wanting to paint a wide horizontal pattern.

I love my PS290! I've honestly never checked the alignment of the cap, as I just use the fan to set the direction - but, will check it now. I found the brush to feel a little slim with such a large trigger, so added a handle to mine -

View attachment 55234
I agree Dave, I’m going to order the handle for the TH and gamble that it fits. I’ll be interested to see if yours is also tilted like this.

awesome!!!
Im not sure if its normal in the 290 but for touch up guns which have really the same head design;
If your pattern doesnt stagger but is a straight line with no bulges or s shape or heavy spots then its fine.

On an aircap with only the two holes they cant point them perfectly straight at each other or it thins the line in the middle. Some guns stagger the holes then drill at a slight angle so the cap appears straight when the pattern is, some dont. Four hole caps correct with the second set of holes.

Being right handed I and most others tend to hold a gun with the bottom tilted slightly to the right. So i line the horns level and spray naturally. If the pattern seems tilted i turn the cap 180. Usually seems straight then...Maybe have to tilt it a hair.
That makes sense. I hadn’t considered that the holes wouldn’t be directly facing each other. It seemed to me that it wouldn’t be a problem, but with no experience with this type of kit I figured it was best to ask.

That is a pretty heavy amount of tilt though......... Id suspect you might have a staggered pattern but....?
If youre right handed and im not reversing things in my head then the tilt does indicate you should turn it 180 though to lean into your natural tilt
Cheers Buddy, I’ll give that a try.

I test sprayed mine this morning using water, and the cap is indeed tilted to produce a perfectly vertical fan pattern - looks just about exactly like yours.
Cool, I’m glad to know it’s not just mine. Thanks for taking the time to look Dave, I can rest easy now :D

I love my PS290! I've honestly never checked the alignment of the cap, as I just use the fan to set the direction - but, will check it now. I found the brush to feel a little slim with such a large trigger, so added a handle to mine -

View attachment 55234
where you get the handle?

Back