Shiny studs on helmets a problem.

B

BRUSHAHHH

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any tips on blackening those annoying bright steel studs on some helmets. Maybe there`s an acid or something. Painting does not work as it comes off. Black felt pen goes purple and looks cheap. Would be nice to get them permanent black so they don`t stand out like dogs balls. Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Welcome here and please make your way over to the introduction page to tell everybody about yourself.

The best would be mask it, skuff it, primer it and paint it. I don't know about the dogs in your area but I've never seen a dog who's balls were standing out.

Welcome here and please make your way over to the introduction page to tell everybody about yourself.

The best would be mask it, skuff it, primer it and paint it. I don't know about the dogs in your area but I've never seen a dog who's balls were standing out.
hahahaha! I didn't realise this was an aussie saying? Might still be english. Yeah dogs balls are pretty stand-outish in Australia. Especially when it's a male dog.

I did a few helmets with them, I prefer to just mask them and just let them stand out :p. If you need to paint them rough them up thouroughly with scotch and sand paper where you can reach them (so will be mostly scotch :D) it does take some time but will get you to the poit paint adheres to it.

I didn't realise this was an aussie saying? Might still be english

Nope only we're that weird and dogs balls def stand out LOL, unless its maybe a chiwawa. That's why there so aggressive, they have small ball syndrome. LOL.

On the studs, where are they located, visor studs? or on the helmet in general, if its the visor stud can they just be replaced with black ones? Are they removable in other words and not cemented on, as it can be a paint to try coat the plastic chrome stuff, have tried in the past with little success besides removing all the plastic chrome stuff on it, maybe a little dremel or something to get rid of it then paint/base as usual. If I come across that stuff now I just design it into the artwork and make them a feature or hide them in the design pending on the design.

Maybe one of the other suggestions may work better, best of luck

scuff them and dab a bit of etch etch primer on there may be then paint. I normally leave them metal but can see why sonetimes they'd better a different colour

If you paint them, make sure after you primer to get some 1000+ grit sandpaper and get around the base of the bolt heads gently, sometimes they trap in pockets of air and it'll bubble out after sealer, paint and clear coat. Hope that helps some!

Back