should i get another AB or buy smaller needle/nozzle

Jake H.

Needle-chuck Ninja
I have a paasche talon with a .38 nozzle.

I have been trying to do smaller detail stuff but it is hard for me with the talon. I'm sure a more experienced person could do more with a .38 nozzle than I can. What kind of detail should I expect from my AB? Would it be better for me to purchase another AB or buy the .25 nozzle and needle and air cap for my talon? Is there even a noticeable difference between a .25 and .38 nozzle or is it pretty minimal? Is the custom micron cm-c plus too much airbrush for a noob? I didn't want to invest a whole lot at the beginning so I went with the talon, but I'm not sure if I need a better AB yet.

doing fine details is a combination of the pressure , the paint and the trigger finger , use thin paint , low pressure and the rest is up to the trigger action. a 0.38 nozzle airbrush can do the same detail as a 0.25 nozzle airbrush you only need more trigger control.
A micron is a mighty fine instrument but you still need trigger control .
I have used the talon with the 0.38 nozzle and could do the same detail with it as with my 0.2 nozzle Iwata hp sb+ , I just didnt like the cup on it being used to side feeds and sold it after I used it once

good to know, and like I suspected it may just be the operator and not the tool ;)

Well now that you have accepted the truth as well as the blame, maybe you now have earned the right award yourself a nice detail brush;)

Can't tell you what to buy, but what I will say from my experience is that you need a lot more control over your reduction and air pressure with the smaller set, I still pull my hair out at times trying to get mine to spray smooth.

What smiler said, there is a reason I use my cs so much, I rarely need a higher level of detail, and the larger nozzle is less finicky.
Still eyeing a micron either iwata or olympos soon. And that may change a lot of things for me, however needing a detail brush no I really have not maxed out the cspabilities of my cs.

Can't tell you what to buy, but what I will say from my experience is that you need a lot more control over your reduction and air pressure with the smaller set, I still pull my hair out at times trying to get mine to spray smooth.

Going to have to play around with my pressure and trig. control. I had it down to 10 psi earlier today and was getting some blow outs still.

It always feels like the needle sticks when I first want to pull it back. I tried putting some lube on my needle... for the AB, and loosening the collar so the spring isn't as intense but it still feels that way, not nearly as bad though.

Last edited:
I don't have the talon so i can't tell you what it's able to do,But I have an HP-CS with a .35 setup in it and can get really fine lines with it with my air set at 18 to 20 lbs and golden or com-art paint reduced 1 to3,I would say keep it up with the talon till you can control the trigger a little better working on you paint reduction and air pressure imo

not sure on exact ratios but I tried 1 drop of wicked detail black and like half a cup of reducer, is that too much reduction? should I be adding in something else to help keep the paint thicker?

not sure on exact ratios but I tried 1 drop of wicked detail black and like half a cup of reducer, is that too much reduction? should I be adding in something else to help keep the paint thicker?

Depending on your end goals for airbrushing will determine what you need. What size paintings do you plan to work on?

Unless you are rolling in the cash, I personally wouldn't recommend a Micron. Are they great? Yes. Are they expensive? Yes
Airbrushes with tiny nozzles are a bit more picky with paint reductions, so they take a bit of practice to get good with it.

If you are looking for a new brush, I would recommend the Iwata Eclipse CS, it's pretty forgiving and capable of decent detail.

Nozzle size isn't everything, it comes down to practice and technique. This is an 8x10 I did a few years ago with Badger Patriot 105 with a .5mm nozzle. You just need to get to know your brush through practice.
7e43526b7dc23a2a8eb24f35de35a7f6.jpg

@AndreaZa has an awesome monochrome portrait with an Eclipse CS. It really just comes down to time and experience. Don't get me wrong, a Micron is much easier to control and is consistent as gravity, but it's not going to make you a better artist.

At this point I want to be able to paint on anything, which might sound dumb but I'd like to jump from a helmet to like a big wall mural and everything in between minus t shirts for now. But for now, I'll probably do a lot of paintings on stretched 14x17 water color paper, so the actual image size with probably be around 13x16 depending on how much paper tape covers my paper. I think I got like 40 something sheets left still so it will take a while to get through them lol.

I bought this wicked paint two days ago I think so I haven't had much time with it, not that I know much about paint to begin with lol.

I'm out in my garage AB'ing right meow and I tried turning out the chock dealio thing that compresses the spring a couple more turns and that seemed to help a lot with the sticking but I still gotta work on the trigger control I guess.

Back