should I keep this iwata suction brush ?

rob12770

Young Tutorling
hi guys, I have been looking for an airbrush kit for a while and just bought a used but great condition iwata smart jet pro compressor and iwata eclipse hp-bcs suction feed, but as I want to use it for fine art, should I sell this brush and get an eclipse cs ?
the iwata site does not say the suction gun is suitable for fine arts, but it does say the cs is.

i reckon i could sell this brush easily and then add some more cash and get the cs...should i ?

any thoughts appreciated
cheers rob

Dont, most say suction isn't for fine art but it can be used with no prob, the eclipse isn't for fine art either, ud prob get the same results with that. If u really want something for fine arts and u don't like the bcs then buy either a hp c+ or a hp b+.
But just becus the sites doesn't say fine arts that doesn't mean u can't use it for that.

well one of my issues is, I have literary NO idea what paint to use...I do regular painting with artist acrylic and brushes, but I fancied trying out airbrushIng so I bought thisiwata set...
i tried breifly yesterday buy mixing some of my acrylic from the tube with water and sprayed it, it was too weak but my point is, as the pots are so big, I think I would have to mix quite a bit of paint with the suction brush...
if i get propper airbrush paint, I would like it to get water based..what do you recommend ?

one thing i dont get is how you change from one colour paint to another ? with regular painting I just dip the brush in another colour on the pallet..im a bit confused lol

cheers

Dont get rid of it!

The hp-bcs was my first airbrush mine was fitted with a .5 needle setup. Not exactly brilliant for detail. I still use mine all the time for spraying large areas and candies. i also use it for t-shirts. it is still one of the brushes i use the most. If you sell it you will soon wish you hadn't!

Andy

point taken thanks
how do i tell what needle/ nozzel size i have ?
also, is it ok to just use my artists acrylics tubes of paint thinned down to the viscosity of full fat milk ?
cheers rob

Hi Rob,

I had issues when stating out down the airbrushing trail. I would use just about everything reduced down ... Artists acrylics, Inks etc. Results were patchy at best and did not assist me in the learning process but rather frustrated me as I couldnt get consistant results and sputtering issues. Once I started using airbrush paints I started getting some consistancy and could better concentrate on my techniques. I believe that the pigmets are ground much finer in airbrush paint than in say an artists tube of acrylic so not matter how much you reduce it the pigment size is still a lot courser than say Createx.
Personally, I have tried a couple of airbrush paints and have settled on a mix of Wicked and Auto Air. I am sure this will change in time as I am always experimenting/eager to try new things. If your just starting out there is a hell of a lot to learn about your paint. How much to reduce, what pressures to spray at. All this info is available on here ... you just have to find it!

As for he needle size of HP-BCS I would suspect it is a 0.5 as this is what, I think, they supplied as standard. On another note I find the HP-BCS a quality brush. It feels good in your hand, It very rarely has problems, easy to strip and clean and just does what i says on the tin .... Sprays well!

Hope that helps

Andy

thanks talla good info there, as to auto paint, is that ok for fine art ? I assumed it was more for work on cars bonnets, bike tanks etc ?
also i was looking at paints on ebay, amazon etc, i see alot of transparent and semi opaque, what should I buy ? im thinking about a set of paints, even if its just primary and black and white
many thanks rob
ps i see you are in the uk, as I am, maybe you could give me a link to a paint set around £35 ish to get me started.. if you get the time, it would take the guesswork out :)

Back