For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Show us your airbrush space!

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by airbrushtutor, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ZB DON

ZB DON Young Tutorling

I just swiped a big piece of Masonite by the Trash Bins at Walmart "I work there" for my new Airbrush spot from work it was going to be thrown out believe it or not. I tried a white board that was a piece of glass two weeks ago but it was too heavy so I had to take it back to Walmart plus it had holes in the four corner but it was like 14 lbs this masonite is thin and light and looks good. 20181201_101353 (1) - Copy.jpg
    jord001, J000seph, S10n and 3 others like this.
  2. S10n

S10n Double Actioner

3. modellebowski

modellebowski Young Tutorling

It isn't much.

modellowski.jpg
    seres, jord001, J000seph and 4 others like this.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Ohh, that's just for today;) Show what you'll have in let's say three years:)
  5. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Double Actioner

OK, so a few years ago, I built a shed on the side of my driveway (rear of the house) with the intent to set up a small shop area inside for things like air brushing and whatnot. That got stalled due to helping my Mom clean out her storage unit (it literally became her 'new' storage unit). This past Saturday, I decided I'd had enough of that and set to getting it reorganized and build my shop area.

So, here's the shed/shop (a few years ago). The sides of the driveways in our neighborhood are part of the utility easement, so no permanent buildings/improvements. Well, mine's also sloped, which makes the space almost useless anyway. Lots of people actually pave theirs, so I figured putting a building on a non-permanent pad would be OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast-Forward to Dec 2018 - I picked up some benches from Harbor Freight, along with some overhead LED lights, some power strips, an AB compressor kit, and a few other things to get this project underway. Saturday and Sunday, got the benches mostly built (base and tabletop surfaces)... and yesterday, managed to get the back of one of the benches mostly together before the weather came in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today, I finished up the benches, hung the lights, ran all the wires, relocated that plastic shelf, and got everything just about finished.

Tomorrow, I'll head to Lowe's for a wall bezel for 4" dryer vent, get a piece of 2'x2' plywood to attach the benches and provide a place for the portable hobby spray booth that just showed up this morning, and finish connecting everything up. I imagine I'll eventually expand from the little portable spray booth, but for now it should do fine for small projects while I get back into it.
    SkooterTrash, jord001, SiRoxx and 3 others like this.
  6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Double Actioner

OK, so it took about a week (with a few days off due to weather - too cold - and a little bit of head scratching) but I finally have the airbrush station I've been wanting for quite awhile. As it sits right now, it'll get me through adding color to my model kits, but I'll most likely need to expand the 'booth' area for bigger projects and actual 'artwork,' if I ever get some inspiration.

So, here's how we came out. I finished up the benches, punching a hole through the wall for the exhaust vent, and running of the wiring the other day, and today was all about cutting out the corner platform for the portable hobby spray booth, mounting it up, and installing a retractable electrical extension cord in the garage (which will get used for more than just powering the workstation).

The small 'suitcase' tool kit goes back in the Ram, but the drawer unit is full of hand tools just for this area. The Harbor Freight compressor is surprisingly quiet - the booth's exhaust fan is louder than anything - I'm planning on adding some tunes to combat that as well.
    [​IMG]

I'm amazed at how bright the El Cheapo Harbor Freight overheard LED lights are - a pleasant surprise compared to the ones that came with the benches (which are pretty much a waste of an outlet of the 3-outlet power strips included with each bench). Maybe use them for ambience when I'm needing inspiration or something. Everything's plugged into that power strip, which plugs into the extension cord from the garage - that one switch brings the whole thing to life.
    [​IMG]

The exhaust vent hose was the biggest PITA to get installed - it's a lot more rigid than a regular dryer vent hose. The booth's exhaust fan has plenty of power to kick open the louvers on the outside, though... so it's all worth it.
    [​IMG]

The booth also came with LED strips - that'll be nice with the painting. I put the Monster in there for scale purposes. The booth should do just fine while I paint my model kits. The platform is nice and sturdy as well (screwed right to the benches), so it should be fine if I need to expand the booth space on down the road.
    [​IMG]

So there it is. Hopefully, I'll start having something worthy to post in the way of having sprayed some color on something.
  7. Nokie

Nokie Gravity Guru

Finally got around to making a little set up in the garage. Nothing fancy yet, just got a desk from work and cleared out a little spot in the corner. I’ll keep adding as I go along, I’m just glad to have another spot finally.

10CC56F7-A3D0-451E-B068-BFD4F21BC832.jpeg
    J000seph, jord001 and doc1 like this.
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I upgraded my lights yesterday. I replaced the 3x 44w 6000k LED batons with 3x dual channel fittings with 2x 25w 6500k LED tubes each. The ceiling is 1 meter higher than a regular one so the extra power helps. Each fitting with 2 tubes cost me $10. Crazy cheap. [​IMG]
    JackEb, J000seph, Vladimir and 2 others like this.
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Can you see any difference between 6000 K and 6500K?

Cool studio @AndreZA !:thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thousand likes!
    It looks similar to smth I have in my mind and working hard on. You post has given me good kick to work harder!:)
  10. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

No I can not see a difference.
    Vladimir likes this.
  11. bogie

bogie Double Actioner

47 Years old and starting over lol. In the 90s I always had a really nice shop to work from. Then a few years ago an ice storm took out my big shop at the house. Then 2017 gave my house back to my dad and we moved into this apartment.

Currently my setup is just at the kitchen table! lol but man I am very glad I am getting back into airbrushing.
    61928961_1815674535245461_5287577140533919744_n.jpg
  12. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

13. SkooterTrash

SkooterTrash Needle-chuck Ninja

Great setup! I've been eyeing those same shelving units. Was it a pain to assemble?
  14. SkooterTrash

SkooterTrash Needle-chuck Ninja

15. Than

Than Young Tutorling

This is my space. It used to be bedroom. I paint models here. Spraybooth made from paper box. I put it in front of ventilating fan. My air pump made by refrigerator compressor.

861C4B47-F97B-4DF5-9562-C521A0467CE1.jpeg 54332D11-3453-4E26-BD52-99B9629D09E5.jpeg D2552D1E-0B47-48CF-9014-7AA708B4FD1D.jpeg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
    doc1, SiRoxx, Jonathon and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ttxela

Ttxela Triple Actioner

This was my set up for the last couple of weeks whilst staying near Lymingon in the van. High winds and rain made things a little tricky at times. The piece being worked on is a steel plate with the logo of the Case tractor company for my neighbour who owns a vintage Case tractor and often exhibits it at shows where it is customary to have a board like this in front showing who owns it.

68746820_10162136259040184_3522940615237042176_n.jpg

68611932_10162136259205184_5750813698692218880_n.jpg
    twood and doc1 like this.