Side feed bottles

Jimmyfingerz

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello
I purchased some side feed bottles for my cm-sb.
I bought the little red caps for putting over the metal hose that pushes into the brush.
To store paint in these bottles do you have to cover over the air hole at the top of the bottle?
If so how do people do it, do they just cover with tape or is there a plug you can purchase?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 10945A15-276F-4426-9AE2-38C72939F717.jpeg
    10945A15-276F-4426-9AE2-38C72939F717.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 17
  • A20F3408-2AE5-483F-9413-361E56A6C12B.jpeg
    A20F3408-2AE5-483F-9413-361E56A6C12B.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 16
Hello
I purchased some side feed bottles for my cm-sb.
I bought the little red caps for putting over the metal hose that pushes into the brush.
To store paint in these bottles do you have to cover over the air hole at the top of the bottle?
If so how do people do it, do they just cover with tape or is there a plug you can purchase?
Thanks in advance
Tape should do it effectively and cheaply as long as the cap is not greasy or very dusty. You could use a round toothpick as a stopper, but the tape would b e better and would not ream out or deform the air hole over time.

Tape should do it effectively and cheaply as long as the cap is not greasy or very dusty. You could use a round toothpick as a stopper, but the tape would b e better and would not ream out or deform the air hole over time.

Ok thanks i’ll try a toothpick also

Ok thanks i’ll try a toothpick also
By the way, how long were you planning on storing the paint? This should be ok for unreduced paints over a weekend or maybe a day or so longer. The tape I was thinking of was masking / painters tape.

I use a bit of ‘blue tac’. Not sure if it’s called the same thing globally? Sort of like plasticine - to hold posters and such on the wall.

By the way, how long were you planning on storing the paint? This should be ok for unreduced paints over a weekend or maybe a day or so longer. The tape I was thinking of was masking / painters tape.

Well I was planning on mixing colours to store maybe long term ish.
I have been told you can store mixed paints in dropper bottles as long as its unreduced.
Is this not correct?

I use a bit of ‘blue tac’. Not sure if it’s called the same thing globally? Sort of like plasticine - to hold posters and such on the wall.

Yeah its is called the same in the uk, I use it as an eraser too.
Blue tac is a really good kneadable eraser.

Yes, it's called Handy Tacky or something similar here. My wife used it a lot for putting small stuff up on walls. To comment further on your storage length for the paints, you definitely want solid caps with good gaskets. Solvent proof if you're dealing with enamels/lacquers. I haven't had much luck with long term (more than two weeks) storage of custom color matched paints. This was for other projects before getting into airbrushing, but the principle is still the same. Usually wound up with jelled paint.

Yes, it's called Handy Tacky or something similar here. My wife used it a lot for putting small stuff up on walls. To comment further on your storage length for the paints, you definitely want solid caps with good gaskets. Solvent proof if you're dealing with enamels/lacquers. I haven't had much luck with long term (more than two weeks) storage of custom color matched paints. This was for other projects before getting into airbrushing, but the principle is still the same. Usually wound up with jelled paint.

I have some dropper bottles with the red caps that i’m using at the moment.
I’m only using CI paints at the moment as i’m new so will stick to them for the forceeanle future.
I’ll see how this colour i’ve mixed goes while I use it.
How will I know if the paints gone bad? What are tell tail signs?

I have some dropper bottles with the red caps that i’m using at the moment.
I’m only using CI paints at the moment as i’m new so will stick to them for the forceeanle future.
I’ll see how this colour i’ve mixed goes while I use it.
How will I know if the paints gone bad? What are tell tail signs?
When you tilt the bottle, the paint don't move no more... LOL

Be careful ... it will cause a stain on walls over time so I assume there’s some sort of oil/petroleum product in it, it may leave residue on your substrate

Back