Skin Tone mixing colours

BlueDragon

Double Actioner
Just wondering what experiences anyone has had when mixing skin tone colour with different brands of paint and also with opaque vs transparent.

Looking up the colour mix for a general skin tone. it is equal amounts of yellow, blue, red and white.

I used Createx transparent colours and this colour mix worked out nicely. With then adding more white and yellow to lighten the skin tone.

But then I wanted to mix up the same skin tone in opaque colours, to experiment and see the difference with spraying an opaque skin tone vs a transparent skin tone.

This time around I used Trident paint, as their colours are opaque, but when I mixed the same colours from trident, being tru-blue/white/yellow/red in equal amounts (5 drops each) I ended up with a very strange dark purple/grey sort of colour. nothing like fleshtone at all.

I even did it twice to make sure I didn't stuff something up. All equal amounts of the same 4 colours..

I'm just wondering if anyone else who uses Trident paint, has experienced the same thing or not?

I know Trident has a Fleshtone pack that they sell, so might be forced to buy it

by adding white to a transparent colour or color mix you end up with a opaque colour , I never mix a skin colour but only use the standard opaque skin colour and work with it as is it is a transparent colour

Equal amounts will not work.
red and blue are strong colors and yellow is a weak color.
so you will always use much more yellow.
A skin color is actually an orange color with some blue.
But not to end up with a very large amount of paint.
Are all skin colors recipes with colors that have already been mixed
because the primary colors are otherwise too dominant.
Example
Instead of blue green
why because if I use blue I may have to add 20 drops of yellow to get the same color.

Here's a skin color from this video (
)
10 red violet
5 burnt umber
1 orange
1 moss green.

Awesome.

Thank you both for the advice. Must have had brain fade, thinking that I mixed everything in equal amounts.. been a bad week at work..

Tim Gore also has a line of Life line Createx Illustration paint
But keep in mind every person on this planet has different skin tones.

This is a great video from one of our members. It covers a wide range of questions regarding mixing skin tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone..

My problem is that I like and need to have "known ratio" mixes for my colours if mixing colours so that I can repeat them if needed.

I'm colour blind and found that I can't tell the slight variations in colour tones and at times, don't know what colour I am looking at in some cases. Always checking with my wife on colours when I airbrush etc.

I don't ever intend to do portraits for this reason. But am dabbling with manga/anime type stuff instead at the moment..or non-real people pictures..

Whilst I like Trident paint with how it flows, their colour range is very limited.

I really like the huge range of colours that Createx have as it makes it easier for me with regards to colours. But tend to have flow problems at times, even when thinning to the recommended ratios. etc

The only thing I don't like about createx is that you need to buy certain paint for a certain job, according to their "system". unlike Trident, same paint for all surfaces etc.

I find it interesting watching a lot of the youtube airbrush artists as I see that many of them have a whole wall of shelves filled with createx paint - for those that use createx .

Thanks again everyone..

My problem is that I like and need to have "known ratio" mixes for my colours if mixing colours so that I can repeat them if needed.

I'm colour blind and found that I can't tell the slight variations in colour tones and at times, don't know what colour I am looking at in some cases. Always checking with my wife on colours when I airbrush etc.

I don't ever intend to do portraits for this reason. But am dabbling with manga/anime type stuff instead at the moment..or non-real people pictures..

Whilst I like Trident paint with how it flows, their colour range is very limited.

I really like the huge range of colours that Createx have as it makes it easier for me with regards to colours. But tend to have flow problems at times, even when thinning to the recommended ratios. etc

The only thing I don't like about createx is that you need to buy certain paint for a certain job, according to their "system". unlike Trident, same paint for all surfaces etc.

I find it interesting watching a lot of the youtube airbrush artists as I see that many of them have a whole wall of shelves filled with createx paint - for those that use createx .
I too am color blind that is why I started using Tim Gore's life line. With it my skin tones at least don't look off.
Wicked paints on everything. as well as the CI. The CI is transparent and the wicked is opaque.
Trident cost to much in shipping for us here in the USA , I have tried it back when Daniel Powers first introduced it .
Golden High flow has a Buff color that is great for anime and manga it will also paint on pretty much anything.
Most paint will work providing you have the surface your painting on prepped correctly...

sepia, burnt umber, burnt Sienna, red violet and blue violet, are great base colours for skin tones. I find you need to thin transparent paints down to get the tones right, and usually it’s a combination of many overlapping subtle colours that makes the most convincing skin. Black is a great colour when thinned down. I use water for thinner,
The trident paints are great but you’re limited being opaque, you could use them for the base tones and the Createx for the shading/colour shifts

Back