Sluggish Airbrush??

S

shadow2462

Is your airbrush sluggish, just not performing like it used to or how you want it to? I always thought I was pretty meticulous when it came to cleaning up after a session of painting, well no matter how well you thought you cleaned things up, you never get it all and it builds up over time making things gunked up and not performing as it should or could. If after you have ruled out a cracked nozzle, or bent / damaged needle, no air leaks ect. and they still don't perform right try giving it a 30 min.- 2 hrs. soak in Auto-Air Airbrush Restorer at least once a month. It's $14.95 USD for a 16oz. bottle and you can filter it and reuse as needed. Thought I'd post this and I know many know of it and use it but for newbie's it can help with a lot of problems because we haven't learned all the little tricks or techniques yet. Many times info we give can only be generic and this happens with all brushes no matter if it is a $50 or $500 airbrush.

Do you soak the entire gun?, or just the needle and nozzle parts?

Do you soak the entire gun?, or just the needle and nozzle parts?
Take it apart like you would to do your end of day/session to clean it . Put parts in solution and soak. You can soak the main body, the nozzle , caps, needle tube. you'd be surprised what comes out lol Also remember to rinse well with water!

Take it apart like you would to do your end of day/session to clean it . Put parts in solution and soak. You can soak the main body, the nozzle , caps, needle tube. you'd be surprised what comes out lol Also remember to rinse well with water!

How about the air valve? Should the spring and plunger be removed before soaking?

How about the air valve? Should the spring and plunger be removed before soaking?

Restorer does a number on anything rubber. Keep that in mind.

You must use a separate cleaner after using restore to make sure you get rid of any traces. Even a hint of that stuff will turn fresh paint into TAR. It's some nasty stuff.

You should be able to unscrew the air valve body and no I would not soak the airvalve. I don't know what brand or model but they are all very similar.

Restorer does a number on anything rubber. Keep that in mind.

You must use a separate cleaner after using restore to make sure you get rid of any traces. Even a hint of that stuff will turn fresh paint into TAR. It's some nasty stuff.
Restorer
Removes Auto Air Colors or dissolves cured and uncured water-based paints. Makes for easy clean-up and complete removal of Auto Air Colors for cured finishes (prior to clear) and dried paint in spray guns and airbrushes.
This info is from the label of the product. I believe the key word(s) here is water based paints.

Restorer
Removes Auto Air Colors or dissolves cured and uncured water-based paints. Makes for easy clean-up and complete removal of Auto Air Colors for cured finishes (prior to clear) and dried paint in spray guns and airbrushes.
This info is from the label of the product. I believe the key word(s) here is water based paints.
They also say to flush with traditional cleaner after use or water at bare minimum because it will contaminate the paint since it's job is to destroy it.

Remember the tiny o-ring between the air valve body and the gun (on iwata models) number 21

Revolution_Schem.gif

To Kasey my apology if my info was not explicit enough, my info was intended to be helpful, "auto-air Restorer" is NOT intended for rubber o-rings or as stated on their site ("non PFTE") and as I did state previously rinse well with water after your soak. We are here to help each other but with all things it is our responsibility to not take info given anywhere as gospel. Again I apologize if any of my info was misleading, inaccurate, or just wrong.
With that said ...if you choose to try this product make sure you strip it well and rinse parts well with water before reassembly.

Back