For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Smooth gradients on a large format - what nozzle size?

Discussion in 'Beginners Airbrush Questions!' started by Franc Kaiser, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Quick question, guys...

What airbrush nozzle size (0.XX mm) would you recommend for achieving smooth gradient effects on a large painting (say, 1 x 1 meters), i.e. for an out-of-focus background which does not have any distinctive features but just a blur of very smoothly blended colors? For example something like this:

PGradient-Background-For-Desktop.jpg

I tried to do it with my 0.2mm Sparmax but didn't even get close to achieve it. Do I need to go for a 0.5mm? Or even a different caliber or spray gun?

Thanks for your short inputs in advance...
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

It can be done with what you have, just hold it back 12-18in and control its opacity and fade by how many times you make a quick sweep over the spot/line.
    Though I would be likely to use this guy for that purpose.
    Sprays a little more so wouldnt take as long and the quick change feature is really handy for doing all that color changing
    airbrush.JPG
    Franc Kaiser likes this.
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Larger nozzle is good and a touch up gun would be useful as well but with patience you can do it with the small ones.
    Franc Kaiser likes this.