For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

SN1 needle tested

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I have been working with my HP SB+ for the last 4 or 5 weeks as I wasnt able to use the micron and besides the fact I had to gain the feel for the HP back I had to work with a normal Iwata needle again
    The Iwata needle works perfect and there is nothing wrong with it but if you are used to a perfect polished and hardened needle like the K33 you will be facing dry tip problems even with Etac efx if you work like I do going back and forth with airbrush and erasers

As you know I replaced the mixron K33 for the SN1 needle just before I ran into nozzle problems and I could only do some basic tests to see how this needle compared to the K33
    my first conclusions : I can work with the same low pressure as I could do with the K33 without getting dry tip
    I can use the HP with low pressure but not as low as the micron but the stock needle gives me dry tip
    I can just blow off the dry tip with the K33 if I let the airbrush sitting on the stand for a long time with just a little higher pressure
    with the SN1 I can do just the same so up to now this needle can hold it self up to the K33
    I know the tip of the K33 will break or snap if it gets caught in a substrate
    I did a simple test to see what would happen if I tried to push the tip of the SN1 with my finger and the tip just went back to its original shape so this needle is flexible but according to Robby it will at one point bend but you would be able to repair is
    Now my sight wont allow me to test that part as I can see what I am doing when I try to repair a 0.18 needle tip and I dont have a sharpen air to help me repair it and I am not able to polish it to perfection again so I leave that up to people who can test that

as off today my micron is up and running again and I will finish my horse painting with the micron and test the needle a bit more before I will do my final impression of the SN1 needle
    J000seph, PogArt, Vladimir and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Sounds like Robby has made and design a good needle look forward to seeing how the rest of your test as well as others goes.
    doc1 likes this.
  3. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I had some time to spend behind the easel and I worked on the horses a bit more , I had to replace the Iwata mac valve on my micron as it didnt allow me to fine tune my air pressure anymore and I guess it is over and done with that mac valve and I decided to use the Grex mac even if I dont like the weight of the mac valve it does work like a charm
    but enough off that back to the SN1 needle I did adjust the DG seal a bit and set the needle spring tension as soft as I could in this case nearly all the way out and the gab between the adjuster screw and the needle screw is only 3 mm now
    I used etac efx straight from the bottle and I was able to controle the thin transparent layers by adjusting the air pressure and the trigger only as I can with the K33 but not with the stock 0.2 HP needle ( I never used the stock v2 needle so I cant compare it to that needle)

after I cleaned out the paint from the cup and sprayed alcohol though the airbrush to get the remaining paint out I pulled out the needle to clean it but unlike the HP needle there was no paint on the SN1 needle

at this point I am impressed with the needle Robby produced and I feel save to say it is just as good as the K33 needle and if you add the flexibility of the SN1 needle I would say it is better than the K33