So new to all of this

K

kineticartist

Ive heard good things about House of Kolor and their candies but I need to know what paint works well on multiple substrate types ie paper wood metal plastic?
and yeah the whole reducer vs thinners?
doing some cake airbrushing with my wife we use vodka (makes for a fun paint session)

looks like I got alot of forum to read really just just getting in my minimum posts so I can add my signature and post links to my artworks

Kinetic

Do not use house of colour on cakes.....not even rootbeer or brandy wine

uhhh yeah... Duffs colors for our cakes we arent total newbs... lol

Lol, they sound nice but I wouldn't reckon they taste that great..... I think they do a lemon aswell don't they hehe , how much vodka laced colour do you spray in to your mouths compared to on the cake,?

Lol, they sound nice but I wouldn't reckon they taste that great..... I think they do a lemon aswell don't they hehe , how much vodka laced colour do you spray in to your mouths compared to on the cake,?
duffs colors have no taste have excellent coverage and deep color as for how much vodka cut cake color gets injested the answer is none i like my vodka straight ;)

On a more serious note and getting back to the original question, there are several paints you could use, even your HOK will work on most substrates. Popular brands are Wicked, AutoAir, Createx, Spectratex, Trident, VJR, Etac, Comart, Medea Textile, and any others I have forgotten. Most of them will be a good all rounder for paper, wood, metal, plastic. Obviously they all have their own differences, some are hardy some are quite delicate but because they are water based they are relatively non toxic compared to HOK. I recommend some research into which paint would be best for you for what you want to do. Don't forget you should still use a mask when using them although most people dont. I personally use Etac efx most of the time, I also have some Trident, Comart, Medea textile paint and Spectratex along with some tattoo ink that's quite good and Windsor and Newton inks. I have also used watered down black emulsion wall paint which works really well but needs straining just to make sure there are no big particles to block the AB. I do strain my paint prior to using them due to having problems with a batch once. This is an optional thing though. Anyway i've babbled on enough. I hope this has helped a little, and im sure the others will all pipe up and give their opinions for you to take note of and make your decisions.

Lee

Last edited:
On a more serious note and getting back to the original question, there are several paints you could use, even your HOK will work on most substrates. Popular brands are Wicked, AutoAir, Createx, Spectratex, Trident, VJR, Etac, Comart, Medea Textile, and any others I have forgotten. Most of them will be a good all rounder for paper, wood, metal, plastic. Obviously they all have their own differences, some are hardy some are quite delicate but because they are water based they are relatively non toxic compared to HOK. I recommend some research into which paint would be best for you for what you want to do. Don't forget you should still use a mask when using them although most people dont. I personally use Etac efx most of the time, I also have some Trident, Comart, Medea textile paint and Spectratex along with some tattoo ink that's quite good and Windsor and Newton inks. I have also used watered down black emulsion wall paint which works really well but needs straining just to make sure there are no big particles to block the AB. I do strain my paint prior to using them due to having problems with a batch once. This is an optional thing though. Anyway i've babbled on enough. I hope this has helped a little, and im sure the others will all pipe up and give their opinions for you to take note of and make your decisions.

Lee

Thats truly helpful Lee I didnt realize most of the paints were water based so thinners and reducers you could use water but that leaves spattering problems so isopropyl alcohol or even vodka would make a good thinner or reducer? bacardi 151 or everclear??

Most of the paints have their own reducers / thinners for example AutoAir has its 4011 reducer. Wicked has 501 i think. Createx Has its own too. You can thin with water, distilled is better but normal tap water will work fine. You can also make your own thinners using 3 parts water 1 part isopropyl alchohol and a 4 drops of glycerin per 120ml there are many more recipies but this works well for me. feel free to look up recepies as you may want to try.

Lee

You can use the same reducer for auto air and wicked, they have different numbers but are interchangeable. In my opinion, if you are wanting to spray on a variety of surfaces I'd go for Wicked paints, they are very versatile, and also lightfast. If you want to use erasing methods on paper/card etc then you could reduce with water as the reducer gives a tougher finish that makes erasing difficult, the W100/4011 reducer (which until recently was the only choice) gives a tougher finish, and improves drying time, as well as helping with tip dry (up to a point) aiding flow, adding transparency etc. The W500, which is the newest reducer, gives an even tougher finish and is great for hard smooth/shiny surfaces such as metal, where artwork can easily be damaged/wiped before clearing. But as mentioned there are many products and brands out there, it just depends which will suit your needs better.