So.. stencils. Yeah. About that..

• Thread starter DeadlyDesignsNC
  • Start date
D

DeadlyDesignsNC

Okay, I have searched for a couple hours on here for a good stencil tutorial or tip thread and couldn't find anything but for a few specific, but not applicable things. I'm trying to get all this info together to see if we're all on the same page but I've been trying to up my stencil skills the old fashioned way of drawing and cutting and rolling with it but not happy with my results lately on different things.. So I guess what I'm asking is, what material do you use for your stencils and why and what to use to cut, is a cutting mat required and what is your technique on finding what to cut out to use your stencil from a picture properly etc.

So first question, what do you want to use your stencils for?

I often use throw away stencils from paper for setting out my work. I have a set of french curves cut from yupo (synthetic paper) for general use, I have a set of eyelash stencils cut in acetate from OHP's. I also use cardboard stencils for other regular shapes.

I use a scalpel for most cutting, a normal chopping board is OK but I got a cutting mat, much better.

Often I will look for a shape to use as a stencil rather than cutting a specific shape. ON my throw away stencils, it is likely the dark areas I want the stencil for.

So first question, what do you want to use your stencils for?

I often use throw away stencils from paper for setting out my work. I have a set of french curves cut from yupo (synthetic paper) for general use, I have a set of eyelash stencils cut in acetate from OHP's. I also use cardboard stencils for other regular shapes.

I use a scalpel for most cutting, a normal chopping board is OK but I got a cutting mat, much better.

Often I will look for a shape to use as a stencil rather than cutting a specific shape. ON my throw away stencils, it is likely the dark areas I want the stencil for.

Here is a quick google search... https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sour...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=airbrush+stencils&tbm=vid

For my pictures of people that are 8 x 10 I just make 3 or 4 copy so I can cut things I need like lips and eyes so I get them in the right spot,anything bigger I use a projector to up size them

If you want to reuse stencils you could buy some mylar sheets. Or as mentioned for a quick one off, paper is fine. There is also the option of using frisket, although this comes with its own challenges, and can lift paint, or damage the surface until you get to know it well. Not my fave, but some folks like it.

Always use a scalpel or xacto etc with a new blade, with a cutting mat to protect your bench or whatever, and to stop your blade going blunt too quick.

99% of my work is free hand I only use some basic free hand shields mainly for curves and circles . I am lazy so I hardly ever make my own stencils I just buy some cheap( ish) ones mend for airbrush use and anything I can get my hands on that look like they would be good for textures

Stencils a tool of the trade , Anything and everything can be used as a stencil . It all depends on the time of day the dead line you are on and of course what you are trying to accomplish when using a stencil.
Torn paper for rocks and clouds to hand cutting paper , mylar , and card stock . to using some of the bought stencils on the market.
There is no right or wrong answer due to we are all different and we all paint in many different styles.
I try to do everything free hand but I too have a full set of french curves and a flex shield for when you just can not find that right curve lol.
vinyl work well frisket too .

So. I really think it important if you want to do your own lithograph style you basically use what's standard in that game, ie build a silk screen..Your essentially talking printing maybe? and if so an Airbrush forum may not be the best place LOL. Many airbrushers use stencils here and there, but the material will differ a great deal on each applications needs but most here would use shields and its a different beast, but to actually advise you it may be handy to know what you are actually doing? LOL..But I would assume for the sounds of the rolling you mention that paper is not an option.Thin mylar and acetate may work but if rolling I'd go with something a bit thicker so it doesn't buckle or move around when applying a roller, you can get thicker acetate, make screens etc and a myriad of "stencilling" options but which one are you after in particular?

Back