So, you don't think you can draw?

"Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards...let me guess, its at least 20 years old and still going strong:)
My first how to Draw book, lost and never found again, sad to say, but still one of the best, i think it was translatet to Danish??
Thanks for reminding me...Now...Let the Book hunt begin:)
I also had a Book regarding Airbrush (English) also 20 Years ago ...i think there was a girls face on the cover ...Also Lost:(
and i also had a book written by Patrick Woodroffe, i never forget that one...Oh those memories.....
Kind regards
Henrik

I like to rotate my paper in any position except straight up. It helps with drawing shapes rather then objects.

What if you're trying to draw something from your imagination? Not copying, does it help to draw it sideways?

"
I also had a Book regarding Airbrush (English) also 20 Years ago ...i think there was a girls face on the cover ...Also Lost:(
Kind regards
Henrik

I have this book. It is Airbrush - The Complete Studio Handbook.
Search airbrush on the above site.

For me the easiest way to learn to draw isn't much different to airbrushing, just reduce everything to its simpliest shape, IE a trapazoid thingy for the nose with two little rectangles for the nostrils, an oval for the mouth and eyes, semi circles or half ovals for the ears etc etc..Get the basic proportions and placements right and then fill in the gaps using your shapes as basic boundry's. I don't flip a drawing unless its just to get a smooth line as it is important as with airbrushing to use the natural curve of your wrist rather than trying to fight it..Any drawing can be achieved this way, its all just shapes put together..I can see the point of turning things updide down or drawing to a mirror's reflection but never found a need, it is again for me about practice and doing it often and teaching yourself what looks good and bad through trial and error..

Hi All,

I watched a show on tv the other night on how your brain and your senses work (can't remember name right now, brain fog :) ) and there were some interesting experiments, one in particular (The McGurk effect) is where someone is making a 'baa' sound and when the image changes from a person whose mouth is making the 'baa' noise to someone's mouth making a 'faa' noise, we interpret the noise as the 'faa' even though it is still 'baa'.
Pretty amazing what our perceptions can lead us to believe, it's the same with art, you ned to start to look at things as shapes of colour and tone, not objects, it's our perception of the object we look at that makes us draw what we 'think' we see, this is why the upside down trick works, it changes our perception.
Try to look at things as if they are flat shapes (as in on paper), isolate the shape of a colour and see what it's true colour and shape is without the surrounding forms and shapes.

Here's a link with the McGurk affect ->
Cheers,
Mick.
Love the McGurk effect! Netflix has a show called "Brain Games" along the same lines. You learn pretty quick not to trust your instincts.

Back