Solvent based paints?

S

silversson

Hello good people of Airbrush forum.

I'm going to get some paints and wanted to try out solvent based paints.
Could someone recommend me a brand so I could try it out?

I hear/read that solvent based paints have less tip dry, smell bad and colors pop more.
Have I heard/read lies?

Apreciate any help tips you guys might have on this.

Hello good people of Airbrush forum.

I'm going to get some paints and wanted to try out solvent based paints.
Could someone recommend me a brand so I could try it out?

I hear/read that solvent based paints have less tip dry, smell bad and colors pop more.
Have I heard/read lies?

Apreciate any help tips you guys might have on this.

Okay now for some things that are a must prior to even painting urethane paints
1. stand alone space to paint in with good ventilation ?(paint booth) note not connect to a home or work space where other will be exposed to it.
2. respirator spray mask rated for using urethane paint?

If you have answered yes to those .. House of Color is great paint. But even urethane white gives tip dry . Tip dry can happen with any paint.
So switching to urethane because you heard it has less tip dry comes with a bigger price.
I always suggest you pick on paint brand and learn how to use it.
Also you will have to make sure your airbrush is rated to use urethane paint.

Oh and how about a little Introduction in the introduction section located here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

What mr.micron say's :)

If you know how to reduce your paint and play with your air pressure tipdry shouldn't be much of a problem with waterbased paints either. So if you considder switching soly based on that I'd experiment with waterbased a bit more first, maybe try a few different brands to find out which one suits you best.

The "popping" of the color with urethane paints is mainly a result of clearcoat so if you want that to happen you'll need to clear your work.

Urethane paints realy come to their own when working on metal (bikes cars) or other custom surfaces (don't need to apply as much, more vibrant colors (after clear) imidiately dry, don't have to worry when using degreaser). I wouldn't use them on paper on canvas though as waterbased paints are much better suited for that (erazing/scratching techniques)

If you realy want to try urethane paints you could also consider Inspire paint. I switched to that (due to House of Kolor not being avaliable anymore around here) and for me it even spray's a tad better than HOK (but as with all paints thats personal). Other advantage is that it's cheaper :)

Last edited:
Not to mention now you need to buy a quart of reducer for $20, lacquer thinner to clean your airbrush and some nitrile solvent proof gloves/ spray mask. But non the less I absolutely love spraying HOK urethane paints. Haasje you just had to mention a new paint for me to ponder over lol! I just picked up my first batch of etac efx and love them, didn't get any tip dry painting with them for 3 hours the other night.

Not to mention now you need to buy a quart of reducer for $20, lacquer thinner to clean your airbrush and some nitrile solvent proof gloves/ spray mask. But non the less I absolutely love spraying HOK urethane paints. Haasje you just had to mention a new paint for me to ponder over lol! I just picked up my first batch of etac efx and love them, didn't get any tip dry painting with them for 3 hours the other night.

Inspire is great paint only reason I do not use it instead of HOK is cause the guy who sells it is an ass and I just hate trying to deal with him. Plus he tries to mark up the price...
SEM is another good paint and with the recommendation of Steve Nunez I am waiting for an order of Alsa corp paint to try out.

Inspire for some time has been my favorite solvent based paint and I agree with Haasje it is equal or better than HOK, particularly because it takes longer before it clogs equipment. I used HOK for years, but in Europe it is more expensive because of dangerous goods transportation regulation. Inspire recently worked on water based paints. I really look forward to testing those. If their quality standard for this type of paint is similar to that of their of their uros, it must be a magnificent medium to work with.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll try out some more waterbased paints and maybe just give HOK or Inspire a go too :)

- Jussi -

Back