Some help please?

Dimitris

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Ok, here we go once again.
I can't remember if I talked to you about this plastic front cover but here's the deal:

A friend gave me (asked him to) this plastic cover (blue color) to experiment. My first though was if plastic primer is needed to be applied. I asked an autobody worker ( IDK if that's how they named), and he told me just wet sand it with 1000 grid and you'll be fine cause there's allready applied.

I did the sanding, wax & grease remover and used standox jet black for base coat.
1st pass 10%, 2nd pass 80% and 3rd 100%, each coat 10 mins. between.

Afterwards did the artwork with wicked. It's a light artwork with very little color on it.
Left it (just in case) for 24 hours (temperature 20-30 C) and then clear coated it (same amount as base coat).

After a month these dots started appearing. But only to the black basecoat. The artwork has remained undamaged. Any ideas what's going on? These plastic parts are pain in the...you know!

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

Hard to tell from pics, but maybe the paint under the clear gassing out, causing little bubbles of trapped gas?? Maybe?? If the plastic was properly primed then you can probs rule that out. Check the flash times of the basecoat you used, 10 mins may not have been enough between coats. Could also be the first layers of clear needed more time, though I would assume the dots would then also be on top of the artwork.

When I looked at it, it was obvious that something went wrong with the basecoat. Just wasn't sure.
Can someone inform me about flash-off times? Both urethane and water based? Interior and exterior? And how temperature is effecting? :confused:
I'm having problems with this part and need help! :confused:
Or if there's a topic somewhere?

When I looked at it, it was obvious that something went wrong with the basecoat. Just wasn't sure.
Can someone inform me about flash-off times? Both urethane and water based? Interior and exterior? And how temperature is effecting? :confused:
I'm having problems with this part and need help! :confused:
Or if there's a topic somewhere?

I'm no expert in this field but because your artwork is unaffected I think your clear might be incompatable with the base you used, certainly if they are both from different brands and/or systems, but as squishy says your base coukd still be gassing off, since the artwork was fine it might have sensible to go over the areas with no artwork with black before clearing, it might possible to sand back the base and do that then ckear again.

Looks like there was water or condensation under the clear or it could be solvent pop, but not fisheye. Not sure about the flash off times, it all depends on the paint you use and the temperature of your paint area. There should be a data sheet for Standox which tells you the flash times and maybe at what temps.

Try here. Depends what standox your painting with.

http://www.axaltacs.com/standox_us/en_US/products/technical-center.html

Lee

Nice, thanks a lot. I'll go a visit by the autobody worker to take a look, he recommended me both the clear and the paint, although I think he uses the same stuff. @jord001 , no fisheye, no orange peel, the clear coat was applied perfectly on the surface. Hmmm, I've used it on a couple of helmets and gas tanks painted with wicked and one of the gas tanks had the same base coat and artwork was painted with wicked, but no problems there.
Must have been flash-off problem. I'll let you know people.
@Malky thanks for the info! You too @Squishy .

Nice, thanks a lot. I'll go a visit by the autobody worker to take a look, he recommended me both the clear and the paint, although I think he uses the same stuff. @jord001 , no fisheye, no orange peel, the clear coat was applied perfectly on the surface. Hmmm, I've used it on a couple of helmets and gas tanks painted with wicked and one of the gas tanks had the same base coat and artwork was painted with wicked, but no problems there.
Must have been flash-off problem. I'll let you know people.
@Malky thanks for the info! You too @Squishy .

I hope you get to the bottom of it and find a fix without needing a total redo, but don't look at as a disaster, look at it instead as a lesson, when things like this happen it prepares us for the future:)

Well, you know the artwork acted as a barrier. Assuming the base and clear are compatible then you probably needed a primer sealer of some kind. My guess would be that the original paint was a lacquer.
That's solvent outgassing. Under a cured layer of clear.

Last edited:
I hope you get to the bottom of it and find a fix without needing a total redo, but don't look at as a disaster, look at it instead as a lesson, when things like this happen it prepares us for the future:)

Yes, it is a lesson @Malky . One of many I've allready learned and many more to come (that's experience too for me). I'm still learning.

@Robbyrockett2 I don't understand what you mean. Primer sealer? like Autoborne transparent sealer? And where's that applied?? I'm confused

Man... You really seem to have run into all the less common problems early on.
Good thing is .... You'll probably end up as a careful painter that almost never has an issue later on because of it.
It's no fault of your skill either....which kinda sucks.
Really though, this is the kinda thing that will make you the go to guy later on. Especially if you make notes.

Now I am positive Dimitris, you are smoking weed 100% :D
Like-a-Boss-funny-meme-11.jpg

Last edited:
Man... You really seem to have run into all the less common problems early on.
Good thing is .... You'll probably end up as a careful painter that almost never has an issue later on because of it.
It's no fault of your skill either....which kinda sucks.
Really though, this is the kinda thing that will make you the go to guy later on. Especially if you make notes.

Thanks Robby, I do keep notes :D hahahaha and I'm still dealing with the 'don't you hurry' syndrome! Neitherways, it's a learning process right? :)

Now I am positive Dimitris, you are smoking weed 100% :D
Like-a-Boss-funny-meme-11.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

Back