Some practice on layering color and texture

jagardn

Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient
I wanted to try some more color shifting and layering while building texture.
Its just a practice piece on construction paper. The fang is about 5" long.

Construction Paper
Createx and Spectra Tex paints
Iwata Hi Line CH

IMG_2298.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Outstanding practice piece. great highlight and the texture of the tooth is spot on.

That's one sweet fang. All you gotta do is finish the rest of the pic now :)

Lee

Unfinished art is how I express myself. Don't judge me. ;)
It is an abstract piece re-enforcing good dental hygiene practices. It only needs one tooth to get the point across. ;)

That is actually a really good way to practice. Especially if you are struggling with something. Just take that section you want to practice and blow it up and work on the detail. Looks great

Dylan

That is actually a really good way to practice. Especially if you are struggling with something. Just take that section you want to practice and blow it up and work on the detail. Looks great

Dylan

That is how I do most of my practice pieces(which is pretty much everything so far). I usually chose some image off Instagram or Pinterest that catches my eye, do a section of it pretty large. I know the detail work will come with time, but the blending of colors and tinting with transparent paints was more the goal of this particular piece.

This one was done out of my head, no reference picture. One mistake I did make on this one was use of black. My shadows(beside the background), I should not have used any black, but what I did use was probably thinned 15:1

I like to practice shifting colors, like on the fang itself. I started with Createx Brite Yellow with a little reducer an started adding violet until I got the dirty yellow. I did a light dusting of it on most of the fang with some soft dagger strokes in the darker areas. I did a few more layers in the shadows, adding violet until I reached the most brown color I could without shifting to violet, then started adding tiny amounts of black. It took a few layers to finally get to the darker brown of the tarter on the top of the fang.

For black, I have a bottle that is mixed 4:1 Createx Trans Base:Black Paint. It allows me to darken my colors much more gradual than using straight black. I have a glass eye dropper to use with it, as it allows for very small drops of paint, so I don't over do it.

Anyway, I'm done rambling now. :)

It's all good man, ramble on, I have tried any color shifting. I probably should practice that as well. Is it the same idea as mixing paint but rather paint over a color with what you would mix it with to get that final color you want achieve by mixing ?

Dylan

Textures look really cool Jag - i think this post is a good example for people to see that you can learn a lot from practising individual sections of an artwork. I really like the result, looks great:)

It's all good man, ramble on, I have tried any color shifting. I probably should practice that as well. Is it the same idea as mixing paint but rather paint over a color with what you would mix it with to get that final color you want achieve by mixing ?

Dylan

Yes, Mitch discussed it in the "Color My World" tutorial I think. Yes, by shifting the base color, you get more depth and vibrancy. You do have to be careful when laying multiple layers of transparent paints, the wrong color can make the colors look "muddy". When creating shadows, you can spray a color that is one or two colors toward its compliment. The key to all of it is learning the color wheel and how colors effect each other, YouTube has some great tutorials. I am trying to learn the Munsell color system, it gives more accurate colors in the end.

Back