Something Missing?

PhilMighall

Young Tutorling
Hi, first post here. When my dad passed away we found, amongst his art stuff, an airbrush kit. I can just about figure out the actual airbrush part but it didn’t come with a compressor but it did have what appears to be a hand bulb and a length of tubing. Can anyone tell me how this all works? I’m hoping to paint Warhammer models with my son. Pics attached. Thanks in advance.
9cf5c4229a9d420ad262cc6a7c210d5b.jpg

5a9767de3ea0173bff2e32d936b5abd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, we've got several members over there who (pre covid) manage to catch up at some of the airbrush events.

While we wait for Dave, I've been googling about the bulb set up and can't find anything at all, maybe your dad McGyvered something up?
the rest of us can certainly help out with how to use the brush and the idiosyncrasies of airbrushing lol

I tried google first and drew a blank too. Making something up definitely sounds like my dad, he was very good at inventing/adapting things. The tubing is like what old style bike pumps used to come with and I can’t see how I could get a constant, controlled pressure [emoji2373]

Other than maybe cleaning the brush out, I don't think the bulb set up would do much good. Even cleaning, it would just be one gush and then repeat... I can;t see how you could actually paint anything with that set- up that way...

I tried google first and drew a blank too. Making something up definitely sounds like my dad, he was very good at inventing/adapting things. The tubing is like what old style bike pumps used to come with and I can’t see how I could get a constant, controlled pressure [emoji2373]

the 'tubing' is a standard airbrush hose, that goes between the airbrush and a regulated compressor.

are there any names/ identifying engravings on the airbrush itself ?

As mentioned this system won't work. You'd have to pump a lot just to get air from the end of the hose to the airbrush and there is no way to maintain enough air pressure to spray paint. It would also pulse.

My thought is your Dad may have used the bulb to spritz water or alcohol into the brush cup to clean it out. At least that is what I might have used it for.

And just my opinion, if/when you look for a compressor, be it a little hobby one or a larger one, invest in one with a tank. Some small compressors will also pulse.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

the 'tubing' is a standard airbrush hose, that goes between the airbrush and a regulated compressor.

are there any names/ identifying engravings on the airbrush itself ?
Sorry for the delayed reply, it got a bit late here [emoji1]. There are no markings on the brush itself but I have noticed some old paint residue which suggests it has been used at some point. I’ll have to have another look at mums in case we missed the compressor somewhere.

As mentioned this system won't work. You'd have to pump a lot just to get air from the end of the hose to the airbrush and there is no way to maintain enough air pressure to spray paint. It would also pulse.

My thought is your Dad may have used the bulb to spritz water or alcohol into the brush cup to clean it out. At least that is what I might have used it for.

And just my opinion, if/when you look for a compressor, be it a little hobby one or a larger one, invest in one with a tank. Some small compressors will also pulse.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
Thanks [emoji106]. I’ll start having a look for maybe a second hand one. I just want to try it out before committing to a lot of money on new equipment. Are there any models you would all suggest?

I'm in the US. What we have may not be accessible to you.

A UK member might be able to steer you towards a good compressor for a decent price:D.

Thanks [emoji106]. I’ll start having a look for maybe a second hand one. I just want to try it out before committing to a lot of money on new equipment. Are there any models you would all suggest?

The cheap 3 litre compressor sets on EBay are where I started. You can find one with a regulator, hose and a couple fitting for £90

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back