Sotar 20/20 fine head- createx paint

W

wtsgems

Anyone know how much to thin createx paint to best run through a sotar

if you have a Fine Sotar your color needs to be reduced almost to the viscosity of an ink or water color. anticipate a fair amount of clogging and tip dry. keep a paint brush and cup of water nearby to re-wet the tip when necessary to get paint flowing again.

Thanks Ken,
So would your brand of paints work better? Thats an honest question are ur paints formulated to work with fine tips
Also I got a second 20/20 couldn't resist, what tip would you suggest illustration only, waterbase paints

Thanks Ken,
So would your brand of paints work better? Thats an honest question are ur paints formulated to work with fine tips
Also I got a second 20/20 couldn't resist, what tip would you suggest illustration only, waterbase paints

You got your brush huh? How do you like it so far?

The best media to spray through a finite tip, .25 or smaller, is an ink, water color or a dye because they have no pigment particle, or high transparency pigmented media that are more of candy-like tint than a color. You can get paints like Spectratex, Aquaflow, Createx, etc. through these size nozzles, but you'll likely have a notable amount of tip dry and clogging along the way. Their are friendlier acrylics for finite nozzles - paints like com-art, holbien, air-opaque, golden, etc. These colors, although substantially pigmented compared to the high transperacy media, tend to be of thinner viscosity that the foregoing multi-surface paints - so they spray a little better. However, they have limited utility on substrates other than paper, board, or canvas. In any case, you can get various media through .25 or smaller nozzles - but it requires more patience and knowledge of optimum performance pressures and paint preparations to do it with consistent success.

Its been a lot of trial and error...
Tip dry is like you said Ken a big problem,
I am getting close as to the proper thinning/air pressure or at least I think I am. the notable exception is White, I suppose the pigment grain size is different for white but even at water consistentcy it gives me problems. on average I am thining 2.5 water to 1part paint with another.25 to .5 Wagner paint easy. It does really make a difference on the way the paint flows. I have transparent also but haven't tried it yet.
I have also started filtering the paint once through a coffee filter then through a foam filter.

I have a second 20/20 also with a fine tip, ( Haven't even opened the package yet) I get some money up will get a medium or large tip.
I guess the big question is how far can you thin acrylic paints before you break down the bonding agents. I mean paper and other absorbing surfaces are not a problem but as you said others could be a problem
Oh by the Way Ken I use my phone and tablet to check the forum out, the result is i don't proof read my posts as well as i should, I in no way meant to back you in a corner asking about your paints. I was only asking if they were using a finer ground pigments or in some way more of a illustration based paint. Please Please forgive me if it sounded as though I was attacking you or your company.

Thank You for taking time to answer my questions and a great brush

Its been a lot of trial and error...
Tip dry is like you said Ken a big problem,
I am getting close as to the proper thinning/air pressure or at least I think I am. the notable exception is White, I suppose the pigment grain size is different for white but even at water consistentcy it gives me problems. on average I am thining 2.5 water to 1part paint with another.25 to .5 Wagner paint easy. It does really make a difference on the way the paint flows. I have transparent also but haven't tried it yet.
I have also started filtering the paint once through a coffee filter then through a foam filter.

I have a second 20/20 also with a fine tip, ( Haven't even opened the package yet) I get some money up will get a medium or large tip.
I guess the big question is how far can you thin acrylic paints before you break down the bonding agents. I mean paper and other absorbing surfaces are not a problem but as you said others could be a problem
Oh by the Way Ken I use my phone and tablet to check the forum out, the result is i don't proof read my posts as well as i should, I in no way meant to back you in a corner asking about your paints. I was only asking if they were using a finer ground pigments or in some way more of a illustration based paint. Please Please forgive me if it sounded as though I was attacking you or your company.

Thank You for taking time to answer my questions and a great brush

didn't feeled pressured in any way, but thanx for your concern.

there is only one way to know the answer to yur question, and it seems you are on to it - trail and error. the porousity of your substrate may also factor into to how much you can thin - a non-porpus substrate won't help you much in that regard, where as a gessoed canvas or high rag content board may be more forgiving with an over reduced media.

Back