sotar 2020

Hi Harel8,
Before your question can be answered, we need to know which Createx paint, there are a few different types and they are very different. And what you plan to use as a reducer for the same reasons.
Also, please note: any answers you get will be a best guess starting point because even with the very experienced airbrush artists reduction can change day to day based on temperature and humidity and apparently phase of the moon and what side of the bed you got up on.

I don't think there is any specific formula. Adjust air pressure and/or reduce while testing to find your particular mix. I will add, Createx illustration and wicked are some paints that I have had very little luck working with out of a Sotar. Some other paints don't seem to be an issue at all, but for whatever reason the Createx is a no-go for me.

to start with i will use createx opaque. i have some illustration. i will use 4012 reducer. i am new to the detail brush and just looking for something to do fine line work with. i currently use iwata and badger 105 with .3 needle. i have trouble with spiderwebbing with them on fine lines when painting on canvas or paper so i thought i would try the sotar so i could use lower air.

Hi,
I started using Createx Airbrush Colors a few months ago so I am still learning. So far, I have found it works best for me around 1:1 with distilled water. I have been able to take the SOTAR down to 8-10 PSI range for finer work.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited:
Hi,
I started using Createx Airbrush Colors a few months ago so I am still learning. So far, I have found it works best for me around 1:1 with distilled water. I have been able to take the SOTAR down to 8-10 PSI range for finer work.

Thanks,
Ismael
thanks i will try that setup

i don't use createx paints, but i do have to thin down my paints a little more than normal for it to flow nicely through the sotar over other brushes i have. have a play around with viscosity and you willl know what ratio is best for yourself and set up. also i find the sotar dislikes the gritter pigments so filter the paint first is always a good idea for any high detail brush or they just get clogged.

i don't use createx paints, but i do have to thin down my paints a little more than normal for it to flow nicely through the sotar over other brushes i have. have a play around with viscosity and you willl know what ratio is best for yourself and set up. also i find the sotar dislikes the gritter pigments so filter the paint first is always a good idea for any high detail brush or they just get clogged.
thanks

Hi,

Thanks,
Ismael
thanks for info

I don't think there is any specific formula. Adjust air pressure and/or reduce while testing to find your particular mix. I will add, Createx illustration and wicked are some paints that I have had very little luck working with out of a Sotar. Some other paints don't seem to be an issue at all, but for whatever reason the Createx is a no-go for me.
what paint do you use in sotar

Back