Sotar Nozzle Head removal

philip Burr

Young Tutorling
So I got a new Sotar to mess with and notice the nozzle head has no flats on it for easy removal. Anyone have experience at removing them without damage? Even the ring around it is smooth and my padded pliers just slip around. It’s a stupid design and I want to replace it to make removal easier for cleaning.
B32272D0-4234-463C-A9F8-FD8284FFB91A_zpsh7spvkra.jpeg

B32272D0-4234-463C-A9F8-FD8284FFB91A_zpsh7spvkra.jpeg

Last edited:
the new model has the head brazed to the body - you DO NOT want to remove it ;)

This was done to remove the need of for a seal there, as well as to compliment the addition of the adjustable needle packing behind the color cup, rather than the pressed in, non serviceable one they used to have.

For what it is worth, I just machine that large flange off - looks cleaner, and reduces the possibility of the work piece being obstructed by the unnecessary flange

sotar twins.jpg

So what does the needle packing have to do with a removable nozzle head? Is it supposed to help keep the needle centered more to the body and reduce runout?

So what does the needle packing have to do with a removable nozzle head? Is it supposed to help keep the needle centered more to the body and reduce runout?
Huh? Not sure what you are asking, or implying. Badger has made their brushes since the 60's with a teflon needle packing pressed in from the front. They periodically fall out, or more often start allowing paint back into the brush body, and trigger area. The Sotar needed to have a removable head, so that the teflon packing could be replaced from the front. The packing has nothing to do with centering the needle, or controlling runout. In the removable head design, you then needed to have a seal around the threaded head post to keep air from entering the paint path and bubbling the cup. You also wound up with a potential air leak around the circumference of the head where it meets the body. By brazing the head base to the body, they address all of these situations. No air leak possible around head base, or into the paint path at head base, and no possibility of the packing seal falling out. A bonus, and to me it is a big one, is that it gives the end user the ability to actually adjust or replace the packing. It used to be required to send the brush back to Badger to have a packing replaced. Long overdue upgrade on these brushes.

Back