Special piece of junk?

I got the brass fitting off. No air valve under there at all unfortunately. I wonder if a modern aerograph has the same thread and would work as a donor. Anyone got a clue?

View attachment 87061

Then i’ll need to fix the air channel into the brush. Anyone got any experience with that? I assumed there’d be a tiny brass pipe under the solder connecting the valve to the body but there wasn’t. Did they just put a cocktail stick in it solder over then remove the stick? I honestly have no clue.

I got the rest cleaned up better with some metal polish, and some wooden toothpicks. Sounds like createx restorer would have been best but it is so expensive here!
When I repaired the cup on one of My brushes I used a drill bit that was a tight fit in the tube to protect the channel and used solder to patch the hole.

I cant stand to see this brush not being tested, so if You want to borrow the valve off one of My brushes until We find a replacement, let Me know :thumbsup:

When I repaired the cup on one of My brushes I used a drill bit that was a tight fit in the tube to protect the channel and used solder to patch the hole.

I cant stand to see this brush not being tested, so if You want to borrow the valve off one of My brushes until We find a replacement, let Me know :thumbsup:
Oh cool, did you coat the drill bit in anything to stop the solder from sticking to it?

I probably won’t be able to attempt it for a couple of weeks, so once that’s sorted if a cheap aerograph hasn’t come up by then then it would be super to borrow a valve, Thanks. The quality of the brush parts is so high its impressive for its age and I’ll be disappointed if it doesn’t spray well, but really I don’t know what to expect from it.

I think I put a little needle juice on it, others may know of something better though :)

No worries, just give us a holler if You need it :) :thumbsup:

“More junk from eBay” calls my wife as she shuts the door on the postman today.

Junk? You decide.

When i spotted this, I was pretty sure it was something a bit special. The double ring is very Aerograph but the handles on Aerographs (which is what it was listed as) are typically pointy, or the aluminum? type with four grip textures (which are nice in their own right) thougb I don’t yet have one. Here though, the handle is an unknown dark brown material and end of the handle is I metal, again not regular, and I remembered having seen one like that somewhere, which I remembered because it was unusual. So seeing the same sort of thing, I bought it. While waiting for it to arrive I looked for the one I’d seen at some point on the net and found it again. That one was marked “Chas. L. Burdick”. No mention of that in the listing of my one though. Here’s what I got though:

The dark brown handle. See what it says there? (Click for larger, higher res image).
View attachment 86865
Spare (pitted) needle!
The ‘ring’ is in the wrong place. Someone has screwed it into the cleaning? Hole behind the hole where it is meant to go, it’s supposed to sit right behind the trigger I think. Same as most Aerographs.
View attachment 86867View attachment 86868
Serial number in the A cup as well as on the underside of the brush. Pain to clean i bet!
View attachment 86869
It smells like the industrial smog of old London may have smelt. And it smells old!
View attachment 86870
Not sure on the nozzle components exactly. Looks a bit dented around the cap area though
View attachment 86871
One of those brass fittings that’s been soldered onto it. Underneath should be an old bulb-like fitting i believe.
View attachment 86872
Plating has come off in places. Below the ridge a scratch I think. Presumably not a crack.
View attachment 86873
No case. Came in what appears to be a glasses case. Only in the photo in case it might help hint at date. Where is a glasses case historian when you need one? It could have been put in it much later though, just don’t know.
View attachment 86874

Got to find the courage (and time) to take it apart and see what the internals are like.

Charles L Burdick, most of you will know already, is the guy who invented a lot of the airbrush technology we still use today, from about 1890 on. Internal mix, pen-like brush, finger trigger operation, etc. His inventions led to Thayer and Chandler being formed to sell his inventions, then he left for London, started his own company, the fountain brush co. which he quite quickly seems to have changed to Aerograph. Aerograph years later sold to DeVilbiss. Fischer in France also appears to be a consequence of Aerograph from what I read (still reading and trying to understand stuff). If i have anything wrong or incomplete please do correct me.

I am not sure on date. Could it pre-date the formation of Aerograph? No Aerograph written on it. No made in England or anything like that like you see on them. I hope someone here can tell me more. I have found a couple similar online since (including one on here) but they do seem very rare. I love it anyway. Even if my wife is right and its actually just junk.
Beside the air tube and the handle, it looks a lot like the Aerograph Model A I was just watching on ebay. I like it. Not junk at all. Even if it only goes on display. For me, not every piece is a rare gem, and it doesn't have to be. That looks like a beautiful addition to any collection.

T
Beside the air tube and the handle, it looks a lot like the Aerograph Model A I was just watching on ebay. I like it. Not junk at all. Even if it only goes on display. For me, not every piece is a rare gem, and it doesn't have to be. That looks like a beautiful addition to any collection.
Thanks. i saw a green one in ebay, you might be talking about? It is similar in that the overall design stayed largely the same over many decades. I believe the valve would fit mine even though mine seems quite a few decades earlier. The internals are certainly different to later Model A, the trigger and needle clamps, the needle packing. Not sure how different the nozzles might be but my guess is not that different. I’m hoping to get an air valve on it soon, I missed out on a couple of cheap pre-80s aerographs because i was busy with other things, they do come up quite a lot, once i have one and a new leather packing seal (just need the right thickness of leather really) then I’ll try some paint through it.

That sounds like the same one. The green handle looked like the one on my Aerograph AEA, but it had the two rings and the cupless paint reservoir.

Attachments

• s-l16.jpg
    s-l16.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 4
So I followed @Kingpin in reinstating the solder to join the body and valve tube. The thing which fit best in the hole was the blunt end of the spare needle from this airbrush (1.25mm), so I told myself it was unwise then did it anyway because I didn’t want to go find something more sensible. At first I could not remove the needle after but eventually it did come free and i have a nice looking air channel. Not tested with air yet but it looks sound.

Then I found this website about leather seals (in old air guns) https://www.jimmiedeesairguns.com/guides/seals/leather-seals/leather-seals/ and so I bought a sample of veg leather for a quid, some cheap hole punches and made myself a leather seal. The hole for the needle is more tricky but i just used a small drill and that seems to work fine so long as you get it the middle. I need to soak it in neatsfoot oil. It seems crazy to buy a pot just for a couple of ml but I guess that’s what i’ll end up doing as I don’t know what other oil would be appropriate as an alternative, and no doubt they used neatsfoot on the original leather seal when the brush was made.

Incidentally I believe the seal will work as is. I fitted it to the brush, and having bought the right thickness of leather (i measured the old one with calipers) it creates the correct distance between the parts meaning the cup lines up with the trigger as it should. @2Diverse I recall you had this same alignment problem with your own nice Aerograph so I imagine it’s the same issue.

25F3B393-50C4-4ABA-9101-7E786EA08DB1.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find a cheap valve donor yet (missed the end of one auction and missed out) @Kingpin is your kind offer to borrow a valve to test this thing still open?

Having resolved all the issues the only remaining problem was there being no valve. Thanks to @Kingpin for lending me a valve so i could run some paint through this. I straight away lost the chucking spring when it flew away. I’ve not been able to find it. I will keep looking but for now I’ve borrowed a spring from my conopois.

The needle and nozzle don’t make a great seal (probably the nozzle is a bit flared) so I get air all the time with the trigger depressed but here’s what I managed with it.
C4EA392A-51A9-4D9E-8909-8154A236F636.jpeg

A26C5A31-562D-4287-8943-758CABC6DEC3.jpeg

Perhaps I can reshape one of the needles to better fit the profile of the nozzle? The needle seems a bit too thick for it and does not protrude at all. The needles (which aren’t identical it seems to me) both have pock marks higher up which show they have been used with this brush because those marks are from the screw needle chucking mechanism digging in. Any suggestions welcome on how I might improve the needle/nozzle seal are welcome but at least it does have some life again!

Good to see some paint finally going through :)

Heres a pic of a needle out of a similar setup brush, this needle is just under 90mm long and 1.27mm diameter. if You think it might work in Yours I will send it up with the paintpal for You to try :)

20240321_151913.jpg

Good to see some paint finally going through :)

Heres a pic of a needle out of a similar setup brush, this needle is just under 90mm long and 1.27mm diameter. if You think it might work in Yours I will send it up with the paintpal for You to try :)

View attachment 88224
Thanks, it would be good to try your needle out. Mine are both 1.25mm D and 93 and 108mm L

I haven’t finished your paintpal yet but I have started :)

I have a spare from a different brush that measures 1.2mm diameter that You can try as well if you like? You are also free to reshape/profile this one any way You need to try and see what works if you like, save damaging the needles you already have :)

I have a spare from a different brush that measures 1.2mm diameter that You can try as well if you like? You are also free to reshape/profile this one any way You need to try and see what works if you like, save damaging the needles you already have :)
Thanks King, you’re a star. If you send more than one just make sure you label which one I have licence to adapt so I don’t accidentally reshape the wrong one! 😂

Back