Spitting Iwata?

H

heySkippy

I've got an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS that spits. Put a bottle of paint (or water) on it and pull/press back and it'll emit a stream that goes psssssstpssssssstpssssssstpsssssssst in a very rhythmic stream. It's easy to hear and easy to see.

It worked fine when I bought it, but within a few months it was doing this. I've cleaned it again and again and just recently bought a new needle/nozzle, but nothing helps.

I'm not the most fanatical clean-freak, but I've got 3 Badger 175 airbrushes that are 10+ years old and have been my main brushes all that time, so I do have some idea how and why airbrush parts need to be maintained. I bought the Iwata because I like the fit and finish, but I'm quite disappointed in not being able to make it work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Things to check , The Needle bearing , Make sure you can feel resistance when you are sliding in the needle. If not it may need to be tightened up a bit.
Next would be the rubber o-ring in the air valve assembly (where you connect the hose) if you have soaked the entire air brush in solvent or any other cleaner it may have ruin that o-ring.
Also what type of compressor are you using and at what air pressure?

hey bro, sound like you got some paint dried up in nozzle,, what i do is take the needle out , clean it , i use fingernail polish remove when doing a through cleaning.. it good to have a nozzle cleaner but im guessing you dont. so do this,, take alcohol or nail polis remover if you have it,, dip your nozzle in the npl nail polish remover for short... and stick you needle in the nozzle with cleaner in it and slowly and gently move the needle around in the nozzle , pushing all debri to the head of your nozzle , do this until it is clean and no residue is coming out., be gentle and dont bend our needle... also are you using water based paints.. clean all passages and hole in your brush... the only prob i have ever had with iwata is when i do not maintain it properly... try this for first thing, test it with straight wate to check your flow stream.. if this doesnt fix it, it a prob with your paint or your psi,,

What ran says is on the money... I'm a pro shirt painter and leave my brushes wet. Meaning I don't break them down and clean them every night. I keep clean ones on hand and swap out when I have problems... Usually if it's a pulsating issue, it is due to dried paint film in nozzle or in the siphon assy on the bottle.

I use the exact technique Ranhalen describes to clean them. And I shoot simple green or rubbing alcohol through the brush upon reassembly.

The rhythmic pulsing sounds like a leaking air cap that allows false air to be sucked in to the airbrush. Either tighten the air cap (not the tip at the very front end of the airbrush, but the part when loosened, reveals the nozzle) or apply a teeny weenie bit of fluid packing between the housing and air cap. Some Iwata's and Paasches have this problem.

The rhythmic pulsing sounds like a leaking air cap that allows false air to be sucked in to the airbrush. Either tighten the air cap (not the tip at the very front end of the airbrush, but the part when loosened, reveals the nozzle) or apply a teeny weenie bit of fluid packing between the housing and air cap. Some Iwata's and Paasches have this problem.

Also an old school trick for this is a little beeswax

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I should have asked months ago when it started.

To give a bit more detail, I have a couple compressors, one with a tank and one without. They were both picked because they're small and quiet and relatively cheap. I don't think they are the problem because they drive my Badgers well enough.

I primarily use acrylics from Createx for t-shirts and mailboxes and the like. I also use some airbrush makeup and alcohol based temporary tattoo paints, but I don't think I ever put that stuff in the Iwata. I also mostly use those little 2 ounce open color cups, so it's not a plugged vent hole in a bottle cap.

As mentioned, I recently replaced the needle and nozzle, so it's not a dirty nozzle or bent needle. The needle bearing does give resistance when I push the needle through, but I don't have another Iwata to compare with, so I can't be sure it's right. It feels about the same as my Badgers.

I will try sealing the threads on the air cap. It would be nice if it's that simple.

Again, thanks for all the answers. I tore everything down last night after I posted (taking off for Key West & Fantasy Fest this weekend) so it'll be after next week before I can try again. I will report back though!

I am delighted to report that this fixed the airbrush. I brought it with me to Key West and used a bit of teflon thread tape and presto, the thing works perfectly.

It's been great having my fourth brush functioning this week when I've had lots of color changes going on. Only today is left, headed home tomorrow with yet another great Fantasy Fest behind us.

Thanks again!

Back