Spitting - with every spray! is it just me?

• Thread starter Benjamin Klinck
  • Start date
B

Benjamin Klinck

Hi everyone,

I have an Iwata HP-CH, and I bought some wicked paints. I have the wicked black, jet black and detail black. I can not stop the airbrush spitting at the start of each spray!. To explain my current technique(as I am brand new to this) is I push down for air first and then pull back for paint.
I have noticed that the brush doesn't spit as much if I pull down and back at the same time (as much anyway).

Also, the test card that comes with the brush showed some pencil thin lines. Basically the thinnest line I can do is about 2mmin thickness-am I doing something wrong?.

I am reducing my paint 1:1 and have tried 3:1 (reducer to paint)

Please help!!

Hiya Benjamin, are you using a moisture trap attached to your brush? If not....this could be one of the problems that there is coming some moist from your compressor when trying to airbrush. Also, black and white are color's which are to tend have difficulty with brushing them....you need to reduce them more then other color's. Try to reduce it with 8:1....small bit and try it again. And if you dont use a moisture trap on your brush yet, think about buying one of these...it helps also.

Hi everyone,

I have an Iwata HP-CH, and I bought some wicked paints. I have the wicked black, jet black and detail black. I can not stop the airbrush spitting at the start of each spray!. To explain my current technique(as I am brand new to this) is I push down for air first and then pull back for paint.
I have noticed that the brush doesn't spit as much if I pull down and back at the same time (as much anyway).

Also, the test card that comes with the brush showed some pencil thin lines. Basically the thinnest line I can do is about 2mmin thickness-am I doing something wrong?.

I am reducing my paint 1:1 and have tried 3:1 (reducer to paint)

Please help!!

What air pressure are you running.
I usually start my reduction on black or white at 1 drop paint to 5 drops reducer.
Also are you using W100 wicked reducer or just water?

Hi Mr Micron,

I am running around 10psi, I have tried turning it up and turning it down (to around 5 psi)- It doesn't seem to have much effect. I have not reduced the black as much as 5:1 (I am using wicked reducer) but I will try this, thank you. What airpressure would you suggest at 5:1?I know it can depend on a lot of variables, but your experienceismost welcome. Thank you for your time.

Thank you Sextacc,

I do have a moisture trap, I am going to reduce further and see what happens! I suppose that it could be the fact that I am new at this that I cant get the thin lines ( I just hope its not my brush), thank for your reply

Okay Benjamin, you are saying how you are starting your spraying, but not how you end.
It should ALWAYS be air on, paint on, paint off, air off (down, back, forward, up). If you air off before you paint off, then some paint will end on the needle and the next time you air on, the paint spits.

One other simple thing to check, is to make sure the needle is seated all the way forward, if not when you air on, it will be spraying already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Mr Micron,

I am running around 10psi, I have tried turning it up and turning it down (to around 5 psi)- It doesn't seem to have much effect. I have not reduced the black as much as 5:1 (I am using wicked reducer) but I will try this, thank you. What airpressure would you suggest at 5:1?I know it can depend on a lot of variables, but your experienceismost welcome. Thank you for your time.

At 1to1 you should be around 30 PSI at 10 PSI I am reducing the paint about 20 to 1

Okay Benjamin, you are saying how you are starting your spraying, but not how you end.
It should ALWAYS be air on, paint on, paint off, air off (down, back, forward, up). If you air off before you paint off, then some paint will end on the needle and the next time you air on, the paint spits.

Superb analysis! I may well be doing this - not conciously, but probably! any advice on getting thin lines?

thank you andre - this has happened to me a few times, now i know why :)

Sounds basically that it's just a matter of trigger time. More practice, things becoming second nature, that sort of thing. Muscle memory.
You might unconsciously be tweaking the trigger back just a hair before you push for air.
Another habit to get into is always engage air away from your project. Just in case there is a bit of paint sitting on the end of the needle just waiting to wreck your work. This spitting will eventually stop with more practice.
As for getting thinner lines, practice, practice, and more practice.... trigger time.... Once again it all comes down to muscle memory, just how far back to pull the trigger to get that frog hair flowin. Don't neglect fades and fills though, sometimes we focus on just one skill while others end up lacking. Learning how to lay down a ultra smooth fade is also something to strive for.
One thing a very good teacher and friend of mine has suggested is buy a few coloring books. Use the airbrush to "color" em in. Outline (get those ones with the dot to dot puzzles in them). Dots, daggers and fades are the three most used techniques in airbrushing.
Go and watch some of the best on youtube, our very own Airbrushtutor, Jaime Rodriquez, ghostuscani, greyscale, cbgraphics, those are just a few to look up on youtube that are awesome airbrushers. Steve Nunez, Babson Zotto, those are a couple more. Look those up on youtube, subscribe to their channels and you will learn much from just watching. Oh and don't forget Aces channel as well. He's got some awesome vids on there too. (he's also here n the forum) and don't forget our beloved Seamoney (seamonkey).

You may also have a dirty nozzle. When I first started out I thought I had cleaned my brush pretty thoroughly, but after having problems, even though I had examined the nozzle and thought it looked clean, I cleaned it again anyway and was amazed at the junk that came out! Might be worth checking.

Sounds basically that it's just a matter of trigger time. More practice, things becoming second nature, that sort of thing. Muscle memory.
You might unconsciously be tweaking the trigger back just a hair before you push for air.
Another habit to get into is always engage air away from your project. Just in case there is a bit of paint sitting on the end of the needle just waiting to wreck your work. This spitting will eventually stop with more practice.
As for getting thinner lines, practice, practice, and more practice.... trigger time.... Once again it all comes down to muscle memory, just how far back to pull the trigger to get that frog hair flowin. Don't neglect fades and fills though, sometimes we focus on just one skill while others end up lacking. Learning how to lay down a ultra smooth fade is also something to strive for.
One thing a very good teacher and friend of mine has suggested is buy a few coloring books. Use the airbrush to "color" em in. Outline (get those ones with the dot to dot puzzles in them). Dots, daggers and fades are the three most used techniques in airbrushing.
Go and watch some of the best on youtube, our very own Airbrushtutor, Jaime Rodriquez, ghostuscani, greyscale, cbgraphics, those are just a few to look up on youtube that are awesome airbrushers. Steve Nunez, Babson Zotto, those are a couple more. Look those up on youtube, subscribe to their channels and you will learn much from just watching. Oh and don't forget Aces channel as well. He's got some awesome vids on there too. (he's also here n the forum) and don't forget our beloved Seamoney (seamonkey).

Thank you ever so much for your reply. I think that your correct, practice is my real solution, along with the good habits I need to become second nature. I am going to spend today watching you tube and drinking cider, probably shouldn't do any airbrushing after though:very_drunk:

You may also have a dirty nozzle. When I first started out I thought I had cleaned my brush pretty thoroughly, but after having problems, even though I had examined the nozzle and thought it looked clean, I cleaned it again anyway and was amazed at the junk that came out! Might be worth checking.

Hi Squishy (thats my sons nickname) I have cleaned out the brush several times (to the point I was a little worried I had killed it!) I have found an airbrushing course in Southend (Essex)-£65 for three evenings! I thought that that sounded quite reasonable. I just have to get out of the car and get to the course in one piece, and hope my car is still there when I get back:drunk:

Trigger control is a different ball game. I lend an airbrush to a graffiti artist that does amazing art with cans. He could not control an airbrush. He could not get the hang of no paint when press the trigger. A single action will suits him better if he does not come right.

Hi Squishy (thats my sons nickname) I have cleaned out the brush several times (to the point I was a little worried I had killed it!) I have found an airbrushing course in Southend (Essex)-£65 for three evenings! I thought that that sounded quite reasonable. I just have to get out of the car and get to the course in one piece, and hope my car is still there when I get back:drunk:

LMAO! Is there anyway they will let you take the car in with you? LOL. If they start getting out bottles of orange paint, then run, there has to be some reason they're all orange in Essex.

That course sounds good, and reasonably priced too. Maybe you would consider doing a little review of it for the forum. I'm sure many brits would be interested. I guess it's for beginners? A little taster course just to get you going, is something I would definately gone to when I started. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything like that where I live. I think they have some courses in Brighton now, which is an hour and a half away.

In the meantime, keep practising your technique. You can overthink it, and it becomes unnatural, but once you've got it, it soon becomes second nature. With the fine lines, do you take the cap off the end? You have to be very careful at first, as it's easy to damage the end of the needle, but you can see how close you are to the surface which makes it easier. Anyway, get the cider out, and get enjoy watching those vids, and then get back to shooting some paint. You can't beat time with the brush, learning what not to do, and having those aha! moments, is the way to go.

LMAO! Is there anyway they will let you take the car in with you? LOL. If they start getting out bottles of orange paint, then run, there has to be some reason they're all orange in Essex.

That course sounds good, and reasonably priced too. Maybe you would consider doing a little review of it for the forum. I'm sure many brits would be interested. I guess it's for beginners? A little taster course just to get you going, is something I would definately gone to when I started. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything like that where I live. I think they have some courses in Brighton now, which is an hour and a half away.

In the meantime, keep practising your technique. You can overthink it, and it becomes unnatural, but once you've got it, it soon becomes second nature. With the fine lines, do you take the cap off the end? You have to be very careful at first, as it's easy to damage the end of the needle, but you can see how close you are to the surface which makes it easier. Anyway, get the cider out, and get enjoy watching those vids, and then get back to shooting some paint. You can't beat time with the brush, learning what not to do, and having those aha! moments, is the way to go.

Good Idea- I Will definately do a reveiw of the course on the forum (not sure when I'm going to go just yet though)

Thanks for the information on this spitting issue. I was having this problem and I think it might be my trigger habits. Wow, just new and found great answers already

Back