Splatter problem?

D

Decryptionally

[Solved]Splatter problem?

As many of you know, I just got my first airbrush and compressor for christmas. Well, I have been working on some beginner stuff and exercises, and now the paint is beginning to splatter! I am using spectra tex, not reducing. I tried tons of different PSI's. I have fully cleaned it and everything. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can be caused by your triggering action, especially if ya just started out, (releasing ya trigger (air) before releasing paint, this builds up paint in the nozzle and spatters it out next time you introduce air..Practice fully releasing your paint before you release the air..Just keep holding the trigger down as much as possible, then do some exercises where you are just inking on and off whilst air is always depressed and see if that gets rid of the spatter, if it is then likely just a bit more practice will fix it..(I also always introduce air whilst not pointed at an artwork...just in case LOL)..Line exercises are good for that..You dont need to thin down spectra, but I do a little bit to just help smooth it out..GL

Can be caused by your triggering action, especially if ya just started out, (releasing ya trigger (air) before releasing paint, this builds up paint in the nozzle and spatters it out next time you introduce air..Practice fully releasing your paint before you release the air..Just keep holding the trigger down as much as possible, then do some exercises where you are just inking on and off whilst air is always depressed and see if that gets rid of the spatter, if it is then likely just a bit more practice will fix it..(I also always introduce air whilst not pointed at an artwork...just in case LOL)..Line exercises are good for that..You dont need to thin down spectra, but I do a little bit to just help smooth it out..GL
Thanks. So I should just clean it out, make sure theres no paint, and from now on release paint first, then air? Got it. Thanks again.

Assuming you're using a double action brush, the motions are, down and back, then forward and up. Also, if you're running out of paint on a gravity feed, it can cause problems like that.

Always blow some air after youve laid out some paint onto a scrap piece of paper. If you are heavily spraying, the paint will settle on your needle tip or needle cap and when you hit the air again it will splatter it. Just get into a habit of doing that!

I will usually look at my needle before I start to spray to look for paint build or tip dry like VR mentioned, it happens often. Then I all ways push the trigger down for air once or twice while the AB is pointing away from my artwork. Then I aim at the art and go.

Back