Splatter?

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
I was messing around doing dagger strokes and dots, and i had some different paper on the board i was using. Am i just crazy, or does different kinds of paper or surfaces create more of a splatter of the paint when you get up close to it? I noticed on one piece , it would splatter like crazy, and then at the same psi on another piece, it wouldn't splatter at all, i would get a really fine line.

seva - doesnt it depend on how much the paper absorbs the paint?

IE - a more absorbent paper with less "sealant" will splatter less.

is it consistant?

Your painting surface makes a huge difference. Spray a t-shirt at 50psi, blasting the paint, and you can work as tight as you want because the paint is absorbed in the cotton. Try that on metal surface, and life will get very frustrating. Some papers will absorb the paint better, while with others, the paint sits on top of the paper, meaning, you will need a little more care when going in for the detail.

Flycatchr, yea i thought that was the case..its super frustrating!

Foreveryoung, any advice in what i should look for in a paper/canvas? I'm unclear as to which paper will absorb a bit more

Most of your illustration board types are ok at absorption. Water color paper absorbs well. If you want a cheap practice surface, pellon which you can buy in a roll at a fabric store works. I started with a pad of newsprint. I have tried so many different ones. Bristol, mixed media paper, water color paper, canvas, metal, card stock, poster board, sketch paper, printer paper, illustration board, t shirts, hats, vinyl and leather. Still more to try. Glass, clay board, gessoed masonite, people, etc.

Every surface has it's quirks. One of the 400,000 things we need to learn as aspiring airbrush artists. Or so it seems.

If you can handle the frustration I say stick with your paper, learn to lower air pressure and reduce your paint more, you will learn more in the long run that way. Heck everyday your reduction/pressure relationship can change.

There are some airbrush boards that will absorb the paint too. I don't really use paper much, so I'd go with what wmlepage suggested. I am more of a hard surface painter.... started doing all my personal stuff on canvas with a lot of sanded gesso on it... I was using some airbrush board I found at a garage sale, and it absorbs the paint really well... never had to worry much about spidering, but I also couldn't get any detail on it, because the board absorbed the paint and then it would spread out... it wasn't horrible, but it would take some getting used to, and since all of my commission pieces are always on hard surfaces... guitars, helmets, tanks, etc... I figured I'd rather just focus on getting better at my control for now.

I think learning to work on a hard surface is a big advantage, if you can get good results on that, then other surfaces, which may be more forgiving are not really a problem, except that on absorbant surfaces like some papers, your usually clean lines can get fuzzy looking.

Back