Spontaneous Newbie

N

Nathan

Hello i'm Nathaniel from Alabama, i'm 25 years old, very active outdoors person and loves to tinker and build the craziest things not deemed possible. haha. I actually have never been into art until I was in vegas this past summer and watched some kid paint the most awesome pictures with spray paint and random objects. It kind of stuck with me so about a week ago I built a silent compressor and bought a Paasche Talon, have not put it down since and constantly reading and studying about it. I have fallen in love with this very addictive hobby and cant wait to see where i end up with it. So i'm Here!

Hello i'm Nathaniel from Alabama, i'm 25 years old, very active outdoors person and loves to tinker and build the craziest things not deemed possible. haha. I actually have never been into art until I was in vegas this past summer and watched some kid paint the most awesome pictures with spray paint and random objects. It kind of stuck with me so about a week ago I built a silent compressor and bought a Paasche Talon, have not put it down since and constantly reading and studying about it. I have fallen in love with this very addictive hobby and cant wait to see where i end up with it. So i'm Here!
Welcome Home Nate , Nothing wrong with tinkering and building things from scratch .
Glad you made the intro post and nice to add you to the family .

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania, you definitely came to the right place.

Thank you much, glad to be here and also my first painting EVER in my life, (not really mine just something i went off of from google images) kinda cliche I know, figured it would be something easy to start off with. 20140115_092337.jpg

Welcome Nathan! Nice name too! Glad to have another Nate here lol Great job on getting your feet wet in this great hobby. Youve got a whole group here willing to help you out when needed so dont be afraid to ask!

Welcome to the forum Nathan, you will learn a lot here and hopefully this will help you produce some great pics.

Lee

welcome from sunny South Africa :)

Not many peeps can paint or do art without some sort of reference. so don't worry about the "cliche"
Tinkering is awesome too - what have you done recently?

welcome from sunny South Africa :)

Not many peeps can paint or do art without some sort of reference. so don't worry about the "cliche"
Tinkering is awesome too - what have you done recently?

That is all I have done, That was the first time I had paint in the gun. Decided to start off with that. I might try some more difficult or precise shading or shapes tonight.

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:loyal:

That is all I have done, That was the first time I had paint in the gun. Decided to start off with that. I might try some more difficult or precise shading or shapes tonight.

Nice Job for a first time!! And dont worry, I cant draw to save my life..well maybe save my life..but I dont like to lolol (Im lazy) I google everything :)

love the enthusiasm Nathan :)
I would strongly suggest the airbrushtutors exercises - dots and daggers to practice your control

Thank you! What is a good surface? That was on an acrylic canvas and it sucked the paint up and spread making it very fuzzy and dull. Fine lines got put through the grinder. Using apple barns acrylic paint around 50/50 depending on the color. Seems some colors take a tad bit more water (soon going to try windex w/ no ammonia & vinegar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! What is a good surface? That was on an acrylic canvas and it sucked the paint up and spread making it very fuzzy and dull. Fine lines got put through the grinder. Using apple barns acrylic paint around 50/50 depending on the color. Seems some colors take a tad bit more water (soon going to try windex)
Windex works with that paint (learning paint, its what I started with) only go a little over 50% with the windex..(and make sure u are ventilated in some sorts, fan, something...mask) use regular copy paper to start, because it will bleed easy, its a GREAT way to learn flow control ♥Start slow, and build up your layers. Dots and daggers will be your best friend lol

Thank you! What is a good surface? That was on an acrylic canvas and it sucked the paint up and spread making it very fuzzy and dull. Fine lines got put through the grinder. Using apple barns acrylic paint around 50/50 depending on the color. Seems some colors take a tad bit more water (soon going to try windex)
Never use windex...
75% water 25% either denatured Alcohol or Isopropyl Alcohol and 1 drop Glycerin per ounce.
So 16 ounce bottle 4 ounces alcohol 12 ounces water(not tap water) and 16 drops glycerin.
You can get liquid Glycerin at you local drug store.
This is a great home brew and I have used it for all my practice pieces for years now.

Windex can take the chrome off the inside of the airbrush.

Welcome Nathan :panda: ..i have no idea what that panda emoticon is supposed to convey, but im going with it

God knows I would never stand against anyone of you guys experience in any of this. But I will modify it a little bit, i'm very weary about and type of alcohol solution. If anything i will try the a 50% IPA, on the chemistry side of it all yes certain types of Windex will break down the chrome due to the ammonia content. The brand i have is Glass Plus and it will ammonia free, so wont have to worry about it damaging anything in the long run. Also a little ammonia actually breaks down dried acrylic paint so that could be plus if there were TRACE amounts in it. Would always want to flush good with water or cleaner after use. On the alcohol side it has some good qualities, but the part that worries me would be how alcohol breaks down binders in paint. I have used it many times restoring furniture for that purpose and artist have used it on paintings for certain effects for some time now. But you say you have used it for many years so I will definitely give a whirl. Just practice paint anyway. Thank you for your brew micron excited about seeing how they work with each other. Thanks MeeshellMP, got plenty of copy paper laying around.

Back