Spray Gun Alternative?

M

marti-mar

Hello,

I am currently practicing on heavy white watercolor paper. When I want to start with a black background, it takes quite a while to get the whole canvas black, even with a .5 nozzle airbrush. I would love to just use a spray gun, but I don't think my compressor will handle it. I use the California Air Tools 6310 - 6.3 Gallon tank.

Will my compressor handle mini spray guns, like the ones Iwata makes? Are there airbrushes that perform similarly to a spray gun? It would be nice to have spray gun type functionality on hand in general.

I have been looking at those compressors myself. As far as I know you just need to get a spray gun that will work with the 3.8 CFM that this compressor puts out, but those more familiar with it can provide better info.

Hello,

I am currently practicing on heavy white watercolor paper. When I want to start with a black background, it takes quite a while to get the whole canvas black, even with a .5 nozzle airbrush. I would love to just use a spray gun, but I don't think my compressor will handle it. I use the California Air Tools 6310 - 6.3 Gallon tank.

Will my compressor handle mini spray guns, like the ones Iwata makes? Are there airbrushes that perform similarly to a spray gun? It would be nice to have spray gun type functionality on hand in general.
Provided you have the tank full, and dont press it too hard it should run a mini hvlp for short periids.

If you look at the Iwata LPH-50 OR LPH-80 they have a very low air use and provide a excellent spray atomization at 17psi. You can find them quiet cheap on Rakuten.com (japanese site)

Thanks! Is the only difference between those 2 models side feed vs top feed?

Can I use the 1mm model with my compressor or do I need to get the .6 or .4?

You can get The LPH - 80 with either a E2 cap or a E4 cap which both offer a slightly different atimization. Not a experienced enough painter to tell the difference other then size of the spray pattern. For example the E2 cap on a 1mm gun will give you a 100mm fan pattern and a E4 cap on a 1mm gun will give you a 130mm fan pattern.

They both use around 60L per minute so check your compressor specs to see how many litres it will run per minute.

Your right one LPH -50 is side feed and is only offered with the E2 cap and the LPH - 80 is top mount and comes in either E2 or E4 cap from 0.8mm and up.

I run a 1mm LPH -80 E2 for waterbase base coat (auto air & Etac) and a 1.2mm LPH -80 E4 for 2k clear

Hope that helps

It looks like the 3.8 CFM translates to 107 Liters per minute. It should be OK. I'm going to go with a LPH-80 with an E4 cap.

Thanks for the help!

Back