spray gun size ( hvlp)

AirPicaso

Young Tutorling
Hi Im slowly gathering up equipment to start my small shop in my house. I want to custom airbrush small items like helmets, goalie masks , bike tanks etc. I want to use Createx auto air , wicked , autobourne and candy2o. I am looking at now purchasing a gravity feed hvlp spray gun too lay down primers , base coats and candy colours. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with info on what would be a good needle and nozzle tip size to spray these products with ? I will not be spraying clear coats and would rather have it done at a paint shop. I do not have a good enough ventilation set up for clears. :) What would you all recommend ? thanks

I always suggest to look at what the paint mfg suggest for needle nozzle sizes when choosing a spray gun .
on average 1.2 is a good all round set up but I the mini sata I bought came with 4 set ups ranging from 1.0-1.6 . I have used the 1.6 on medium sized flake .

Here's a link to some videos about Auto Air. Some great info.

http://www.smdesigns.co.uk/

Most guys seem to favor the Iwata lph-80 for small stuff like helmets, and the Iwata lph-400 for big stuff.

There's a live feed video on Coast Airbrush Facebook page at Createx. They confirmed that they had better results with the lph-400 than the more expensive Supernova even with same tip size.

The 4020 automotive reducer (mentioned in picture above) should only be used in a professional booth and with the appropriate respirator. Not in a home studio !

Simon Murray uses an Iwata LPH80 to spray his sealers and flakes, not sure of the needle size but they are not a cheap gun.

Lee

I use a 1.2 setup for autobourne sealer. And was pretty cheap. I dont do auto clears at home either. I do not remember tip size on my clear gun, but it only sprays clearcoat... Never use it for anything else.

On the bright side for your sealers/primers you really can get away with an inexpensive gun.

The 4020 automotive reducer (mentioned in picture above) should only be used in a professional booth and with the appropriate respirator. Not in a home studio !

The 4020 just happened to be on the same page of the tech sheet showing the spray gun tip sizes. But yes, 4020 is a "hot" reducer (contains acetone).

The 4020 just happened to be on the same page of the tech sheet showing the spray gun tip sizes. But yes, 4020 is a "hot" reducer (contains acetone).
I was just making sure any newbies don't suddenly jump onto the thought that 4020 is a preferred reducer for createx illustration, that's all :D

That doesn't surprise me at all @Nada but I bet the sales person doesn't point out the fine print or health implications if the warnings aren't followed :thumbsdown:

Awesome information everyone thank you so much. I am looking for a more economical spray gun , $150 give or take. I will now look for one that is hopefully with a included selection of one or two different tip/needle sizes. I have collected some materials to build a medium to large sized table top spray booth with a 560 cfm blower fan in it so I may try the 4020 reducer with acetone in it , I do live in a colder climate where I think it could come in handy. To start I will use the 4012 just because it is not as harmfull. Again thanks for the advice everyone on the tip/ needle size for a gun. :)

Awesome information everyone thank you so much. I am looking for a more economical spray gun , $150 give or take. I will now look for one that is hopefully with a included selection of one or two different tip/needle sizes. I have collected some materials to build a medium to large sized table top spray booth with a 560 cfm blower fan in it so I may try the 4020 reducer with acetone in it , I do live in a colder climate where I think it could come in handy. To start I will use the 4012 just because it is not as harmfull. Again thanks for the advice everyone on the tip/ needle size for a gun. :)

I have one of these:
image.png
image.png
Works with a small compressor. I think I paid 30 bucks maybe. It's made by California Air Tools.

and if you are going down the 4020 route, then make sure the blower motor is sealed, the slightest spark and you could be in a world of pain, and fire.....
they put the warning on the bottles for a reason !

and if you are going down the 4020 route, then make sure the blower motor is sealed, the slightest spark and you could be in a world of pain, and fire.....
they put the warning on the bottles for a reason !
The room will be heated so the need for using 4020 because of the cooler climate here wont be needed. I don't think I will honestly need to even use 4020 for my work, 4012 will be fine enough, I did a bunch of reading on it. :) thanks

no worries, I worry too much sometimes. everyone seems to just grab and run with a product and don't think too much about it. I just like to make sure everyone is safe

no worries, I worry too much sometimes. everyone seems to just grab and run with a product and don't think too much about it. I just like to make sure everyone is safe
Thanks JackEb, you are right , 4020 is full of acetone and the blower I have is like a Dayton blower fan. The motor is on the outside of the fan unit so it doesn't come in contact with the exhaust but it still is not a fire proof unit lol. I wanted to go with HOK or Inspire but that would be a major hazard lmao so instead it will be createx products at least the safe hopefully non flammable createx products. I will have to research it more, I imagine 4020 is not the only hazardous product they make :)

Back