Spray guns

S

S10n

Hi guys,

What would be a good all around spray gun in terms of price and quality.

I'm looking to buy three guns, one for paint, primer and clear coats.

I understand that HVLP are good but not as good to use with a 50L compressor like an RP ?? is that correct? , I'm looking for something good that doesn't sacrifice air quality, something like a good all around gun.

Thanks!

Definitely one for Robby but... From talking to him and some of my own research, the ANI R150 Mini Gun has crazy good reviews. It’s air consumption is pretty damn low and the prices are great for the quality of the gun. Ultimately the size of project and compressor will have a big impact on choice of guns. But for smaller jobs and a 50l compressor, a couple ANI R150’s will cover a lot of bases.
I’m going to guess Robby will also say buy a cheap almost disposable Gun for Primer and spend the saved cash on the Base and Clear Guns.
Also check that your compressor will move enough air to run the Gun. The CFM measurement is more useful than the size of the receiver.
This is just an overview, Robby will fill in the gaps LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, it seems that probably is better two cheap guns (primer and base color) and one midlevel gun for the clearcoat which is more demanding to spray but I'm clueless about brands and prices.

I don't plan to paint and entire car but more some kustom works like helmets, cases, guitars , bikes, etc etc

On a 50l compressor you can basically rule out any of the high end full size guns. The compressor would barely output what some need and not even output what most need. Let alone output far more than needed, which is where you really want to be given duty cycle and such.
RP's I've seen only drop you down to the same consumption as some of the more efficient HVLPs like lph or w 400's or Graco finex etc.
Which leaves you with either a few generic guns.

Or this guy which is efficient and great quality but is basically really a midi type gun;

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/ani-full-sized-conventional-gravity-spraygun.html

Lph-101 would be another good one here.
Or Meiji guns.

These are gonna be pushing it for all overs but they'll be really pushing your compressor anyhow.

If you've got the cash for any of the Iwata or devillbiss guns and want to do all overs then you may be better off looking at turbine units like Fuji mini mite 4s or apollos but be prepared for less support as not a lot of people use them so figuring out nozzles for a particular paint and such can be a challenge.

If you're not planning all over car sprays then I'd be looking at minis.
Again they've got a good one.
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/ani-r150-mini-gravity-spraygun.html#sthash.xwh2Vf3i.dpbs

Otherwise iwata lph-50 or 80 are nice.
Satajet minis are nice.
Etc.

I’m going to guess Robby will also say buy a cheap almost disposable Gun for Primer and spend the saved cash on the Base and Clear Guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep , I'd get a cheapo China whatever for primer. Throwaways.

And probably two r150's ,a .8 and a 1.0

That would set you up decent for less than the cost of going to one iwata lph 50 or 80 or devillbiss Sri pro.
I personally don't like to recommend $300-400 mini guns to anyone starting off. The benefit just will not be seen for years to come.

Now that I know what your goal is.

Last edited:
Finex minis would be the way to go in the US I think.
Idk if the r150s or finex would be better in Chile.

Devillbiss starting line mini would be another decent quality option that may be cheap there. Made in Brazil I believe.

Anyhow those would be where I'd start looking.

Sorry for the consecutive posts, I just realized where you're at.

I had to get a mini spray gun for clear coat and was suggested to get the ani r-150.
And what a great job it does! Took me awhile to find his 'sweet spot' but does amazing job.
Great price, got the 1.0mm setup. Love it.
For primer I use a cheapo spray gun with a 2.0 setup and I also use a 50L compressor. It's struggling with the primer gun but no problem with the ani.
50L compressor will run smoothly for any small and medium surfaces, But no-no cars and such things.
Just my humble opinion.

.8 for base coat and 1.0 for clear coat?
Other way around.

With a mini you can get away easily with one step up or down from where you really should be;
.8 clear
1.0 base
1.2 primer

So a lot of people use nothing but 1.0 in minis as it can do it all.

.8 makes clear a shade easier bc it's slow and you're doing small areas.

Where a full size you're generally at
1.2 clear
1.4-1.6 base
1.8-2.0 primer

With cars you generally don't use the mini a ton and have plenty of time to clean it up good. Plus a lot of people don't base/ clear the areas a mini is used like door jambs.
They just make a jamb mix where base and clear are blended together and just shoot that.

Last edited:
Other way around.

With a mini you can get away easily with one step up or down from where you really should be;
.8 clear
1.0 base
1.2 primer

So a lot of people use nothing but 1.0 in minis as it can do it all.

.8 makes clear a shade easier bc it's slow and you're doing small areas.

Where a full size you're generally at
1.2 clear
1.4-1.6 base
1.8-2.0 primer

With cars you generally don't use the mini a ton and have plenty of time to clean it up good. Plus a lot of people don't base/ clear the areas a mini is used like door jambs.
They just make a jamb mix where base and clear are blended together and just shoot that.
great info

I used one of those a lot for primer before I got a lacquer thinner recycler.
It sprays better than the China specials and the tips cost about the same as one.
Both cost about the same as the thinner I would go through to clean one up a couple times.

Last edited:
I used one of those a lot for primer before I got a lacquer thinner recycler.
It sprays better than the China specials and the tips cost about the same as one.
Both cost about the same as the thinner I would go through to clean one up a couple times.
so it's cost effective for priming?

Only if you're painting stuff daily and have enough work to make you're time worth at least more than $60 an hour all the time.
10 minutes cleaning a gun=$9
Plus $5 in lacquer thinner you won't re use
$14
Which is about the same as buying Chinese primer guns and throwing away after each use.
The better spray meant less time sanding polyester primer than a Chinese gun though.

Plus I wasn't doing cars or anything flat then so slow sorayspr was a good thing.

Only if you're painting stuff daily and have enough work to make you're time worth at least more than $60 an hour all the time.
10 minutes cleaning a gun=$9
Plus $5 in lacquer thinner you won't re use
$14
Which is about the same as buying Chinese primer guns and throwing away after each use.

Plus I wasn't doing cars or anything flat then so slow sorayspr was a good thing.
I didn't know it's $5 in lacquer thinner for cleaning the gun. This can add up if you are doing piece by piece. -.-

Back