Spray not shooting straight! Arggghg!

J

JimE

Well I got some replacement parts for my brush as I needed a new needle, and packing etc. . So I thought I'd replace the old nozzel, though its not to bad and doesn't appear to be blooming at the very tip, with the nozzel that came with the needle (Paasche VM-1 pack needle, nozzel, air cap).

Put in the new components, all straight and aligned, set up to go do some practice and its spraying not where its supposed to spray! I put water through it to see the spray patten in the light and with the brush horizontaly level it would spray from the bottom of the nozzel almost 45 degrees downward! WHAT THE (beeb beeeb)!!!
Ok fill it up again charge it back and forth, straight spray, straight spray - 45 degrees from the nozzel bottom, and again and again - straight spray..

So I take it apart check the needle, check for blockage, clean it out, reassemble and try again. SAME FREAKING (beeb)! WHY WHY!! I didn't have this problem with the old needle and nozzel!, I'll put the old nozzel back in and try that..

Could it be user error or manufacturing error of the nozzel?

Note: I am using a VSR90, with the proper Paasche supplied parts for this series brush.

Help me Obiwan kenobi your my only hope!

Hmmmm bit of a strange one isn't it?, havnt had this problem myself, I would first try turning pressure up and down with new nozzle to see if that changes spray pattern, then I would be looking to make sure nozzle is seated centrally around needle, is it seated nicely up front where its meant to be...on the pasche, is it a screw in nozzle? Could it be you have it a bit cross threaded therefore pointing slightly down?.....

Hi JimE
angular spray cone would be from something that the is directing the air away from straight. this could be a bur in the nozzle, paint in the nozzle, skew nozzle, bent needle etc. I would love to hear what combinations of the new and old needle and nozzle work or don't work. I remember someone saying that they took the point of the needle and gently pushed it into the nozzle along the inside edges of the nozzle to see if there was any obstructions. AndreZA's idea of using a sharpened tooth pick might be better. I am not familiar with the Paasche nozzle set, but ad fez has a point regarding the direction of the nozzle. hope this helps.

Cheers Guys, I pulled the dammed thing apart, put it back with new needle (making sure it was straight) old nozzle, same problem and that's where I left it in disgust. This morning after checking here I went back to it took out the two nozzles and using the old needle felt around the inners. The new nozzle has a slight lip going around the circumference near the opening the old has not, though it may have once? Besides I don't think that effected it any. Put the new nozzle back in set it up put water through it and yahoo its good again, put in paint and still good! So seems the problem is sorted although all parts were seated correct. No obstructions found, user error? possibly? Anyway now back to blending lines with thanks to Mitch and his comical tutorials..

You could probably spot the cause of the incorrect spraying by watching the nozzle needle under a microscope or magnifying glass, but I bet the crooked parts are new. Paasche used to be a top brand upto approximately the turn of the century, after that time they started to produce crap that is at about the same level as the bogus Chinese brands.

I think there is a flat spot on your needle or there is something obstructing the airflow out of your needle cap. other than that im not sure how else I can help, other than to agree with Ignis. Sorry!

I think there is a flat spot on your needle or there is something obstructing the airflow out of your needle cap. other than that im not sure how else I can help, other than to agree with Ignis. Sorry!
Funny you should say this as I got two needles and one looks to have a slight flat spot, so that could be the prob plus I played about with different PSI. Its a shame that Paasche has by the sounds of it gone that way of the quality Dodo. After reading the 'what airbrush you use' and 'recomended airbrush' threads it seems the concensus is Iwata and Badger for the most, I do like the look of some of the Iwata brushes. Though for now the VSR90 will be it until I can afford a better or more suited to what I prefer airbrush..

check your nozzle cap. My Paasche V drove me bonkers for ages as it would spray to the side (sounds like exactly what yours is doing!). I cleaned and cleaned and tried new nozzles and needles and nothing worked until... I had one of those eureka moments...

The 2 causes I found for mine are...

1. paint buildup inside the cone of the nozzle cap
2. the nozzle isn't centred in the nozzle cap (you may need a magnifying glass to see this as the gap is very very small)

What happens it the cone of air is disrupted in one place because there isn't a consistent gap all the way around between the nozzle and nozzle cap. The nozzle could even be touching it in one place

Hope this helps!

Back