Spray trouble with a difference

C

Cecily

I have been airbrushing for a few years, but I am religiously having spray issues. I live in tropical north Queensland, although, the humidity has not yet started to climb for the wet season. Recently I have gone back to basics doing all the lessons, over and over. After solving issues with both me and one of my iwata's, I chose to go back to the Autoair paints to do some of my pieces. My problem is not just tip dry, which is extreme. I have over reduced the paint but am still getting excessive tip dry at the point where the paint is breaking (splattering due to it being too viscous). I reduced air pressure which has made no difference. My biggest issue is when I release the trigger, more paint comes out, causing a splotch, wrecking the fine line. What happens is, I pull back for paint, nothing comes out, so I push forward to stop the paint ready to clean the tip, but as the trigger returns, paint floods out. Is this a symptom of tip dry? Are iwata's known for this? Could it perhaps be the paint? The gun was working fine with the Wicked colours. Any suggestions would be grate.

Buy some Restorer made by Createx, and soak the nozzle in it. I had that problem a few years ago and the help line at createx told me that even if I thought I had by airbrush super clean that I would be surprised of just how much dry paint wass left in the nozzle.
Also are you using the Createx reducer or a home brew or just water?

I think it's definitely the paint - not sure how old it is but if it has been siting on the shelf for a while then you'll need to give your paint a good strain. This sort of problem is enhanced from thick pigmented paint and to over come this you can strain your paints - perhaps through a stocking, reduce your paints even more-so, however increase your air pressure. I get problems like this myself and i do 2 or more of the above three things and it always helps.
Let us know if problems persist.

Sounds like your nozzle is clogged with some dried paint. I use Auto Air and its notorious for clogging your nozzle. The best stuff I've found for cleaning out clogs is acetone. Much stronger than the Auto Air restorer. Soak your nozzle in some acetone than use a plastic dental pick to remove any stubborn bits of paint.

Thank you everyone. I do have the restorer, so I will give it a go. I don't normally use it as I have made the mistake of soaking my gun in it before, needless to say I had to replace every O ring. Some of my auto air is getting a little older. I also already have paint strainers, but they are so un-user friendly for an airbrush, so I get lazy (my bad). I love the stocking idea. Thank's again

Back