Squiggly dagger strokes

W

wayneh

Any tips for smooth dagger strokes. I find I am able to get the taper fairly well but as I near the end of the strokes instead of a nice line I end up with squiggly lines. It seems like my brush wants to move in an up and down arc instead of straight. Similar to the dance of a gun-site for any of you who have tried pistol shooting. I do ok with straight (sort of) lines but the dagger strokes are giving me issues. Any tips are much appreciated, Thanks

I am new to airbushing and had the same question, but the answer is it will get better after more practicing.
everything gets more smooth after every arbrushing session.

I don't know if you hade the same problems as me but my biggest challange was to cool down,
i did my daggers in a rush and then i realized that i could do them pretty slow and get them better.

Seems to me what you doing is "flicking" your wrist at the end rather than holding you stance and finishing off the line by moving at the shoulders an elbows. It just takes a little time. To me the hardest part was getting the taper.

Josh

When you can grab the nozzle from Seamonkey's hand you will be ready to go out into the world grasshopper!! Josh has some good advise also keep moving even after you have totally stopped the paint from flowing out the brush.
Seems to me what you doing is "flicking" your wrist at the end rather than holding you stance and finishing off the line by moving at the shoulders an elbows. It just takes a little time. To me the hardest part was getting the taper.

Josh

I don't know if you hade the same problems as me but my biggest challange was to cool down,
i did my daggers in a rush and then i realized that i could do them pretty slow and get them better.

The same happened with me.
My first daggers were done at lightning speed and I got really frustrated that I couldn't get them to look right.
So I tried slowing the movement down and, hey presto, much better looking daggers.
They're not completely to my liking yet but I'm much closer than I was.

mine is not good yet, but at least i can start and end were i want :)
the first ones did almost breake the brush. full speed and the brush did almost go trough the paper.

When you can grab the nozzle from Seamonkey's hand you will be ready to go out into the world grasshopper!! Josh has some good advise also keep moving even after you have totally stopped the paint from flowing out the brush.

I agree with strictly, don't think of the taper as the end of the stroke, but keep your arm moving even when you have stopped the paint. It will stop the squiggles as your arm will be moving more positively and not anticipating when to stop.

Rotate your body don't just move your arms. Start at point A and as you start moving, look at point B and aim for that spot. Don't look at the brush to see where it's going. Cut your paint flow off as you approach point B, but follow through with your motion(to a point c, if needed) and remember that you should be turning the midsection of your body and not just moving your hands/arms...

you have to get a micron thain those problems wil all go away ha ha its called recoil anticipation i like to atatch my t square to my weasel ....easel and practice moving my shoulders dont flciker thats for harry potter lol

Back