Static electricity problem?

Colin F

Double Actioner
It’s extremely dry humidity where I live this time of year and I’m running into what I believe is a static electricity problem in the paint booth. My scale models are like dust magnets. I use a homemade booth that’s essentially foam board on top of cardboard with a plastic container housing the blower fan - I know these surfaces can become charged. I also know that the very process of dry air going through the hose to the airbrush can cause static electricity.

Any recommendations to mitigate this? Dryer sheets - are they safe to wipe down models prior to paint? Mist the inside surfaces of the booth with water?

Maybe a humidifier? I wonder if there's a way you could connect a ground to something. Maybe a ground strap bracelet like made for people working on printed circuit boards? Usually tapping on the object can shake off some charge but that doesn't help during the painting...

I know a waterbased pre cleaner is used in the automotive industry partly to help neutralise static. Maybe a static gun like people use on vinyl records could also be an option.

I know a waterbased pre cleaner is used in the automotive industry partly to help neutralise static. Maybe a static gun like people use on vinyl records could also be an option.
Yes I actually worked in a high volume body shop years ago, before we had downdraft spray booths we would wet the floor with water before spraying. Seems like chasing the problem in this case. I’m considering one of those anti-static gun like you suggested, but they’re expensive and I can’t comprehend how they work, if they work at all. My father sold Hi-Fi in the 70s and 80s. I remember them.

Yes I actually worked in a high volume body shop years ago, before we had downdraft spray booths we would wet the floor with water before spraying. Seems like chasing the problem in this case. I’m considering one of those anti-static gun like you suggested, but they’re expensive and I can’t comprehend how they work, if they work at all. My father sold Hi-Fi in the 70s and 80s. I remember them.
I can’t explain how they work either lol, but also remember my Dad having one he used with his hi-fi. So it was a guess rather than a solid recommendation.

Back