Stencil help

S

Sprzout

My wife is wanting me to airbrush a t-shirt for her to wear to San Diego Comic-Con in about 3 weeks (eek!) and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how I would best approach doing a stencil for a portion of it.

She wants a tank top with this on the "Pocket" area:

And because she wants that "haze" effect behind the text, I kinda have an idea how to do it, but it'd involve a stencil.

Here's the issue I have, however - I'm not sure how I'd get it to be aligned correctly!! Anyone have an idea for the best way to do this? I've heard someone say to use frisket material, but I'm not even sure how that would work; I've never worked with frisket before, so the only thing I know is it's kinda sticky...If someone could please throw me a bone on this one, I'd be grateful. :)

Imagine a roll of backed masking tape, made of plastic 300mm wide... that is frisket. Sketch in where you want it to get the alignment, then place with care. You can take it off and replace it if you want. I would use tailors chalk on the fabric then brush it off before painting or make sure it is covered with the frisket film so it doesn't end up in the paint.

Alternative is a card stencil held in place on the fabric with magnets or weights. That would be easier to position.

Tell us how it goes...

Imagine a roll of backed masking tape, made of plastic 300mm wide... that is frisket. Sketch in where you want it to get the alignment, then place with care. You can take it off and replace it if you want. I would use tailors chalk on the fabric then brush it off before painting or make sure it is covered with the frisket film so it doesn't end up in the paint.

Alternative is a card stencil held in place on the fabric with magnets or weights. That would be easier to position.

Tell us how it goes...

I've tried a card stencil on paper, and it unfortunately doesn't work. The issue there is that the lettering is so thin I can't get it to hold down with weights, a loop of scotch tape, etc...Frisket might be my only option, unless I can afford a die cutting machine...

once you've prepped the shirt (instructions elsewhere- I don't do fabric so I'm no help there) melt some wax, put something in the pocket to protect the fabric underneath. 'draw' the letters on the fabric with the melted wax and a cheap throw away thin paintbrush, let it set, spray your haze.
- Iron the wax out. Place the fabric between two sheets of absorbent paper and run the iron over the sandwiched fabric. The wax can leave behind a residue, so use care to ensure the wax is removed. Periodically changing out the papers can aid in wax removal

Google 'Batik' tie dye if you get stuck :)

PS: depending on the colour of the shirt you may need to spray white haze before you spray your colour just so it stands out more.

Last edited:
once you've prepped the shirt (instructions elsewhere- I don't do fabric so I'm no help there) melt some wax, put something in the pocket to protect the fabric underneath. 'draw' the letters on the fabric with the melted wax and a cheap throw away thin paintbrush, let it set, spray your haze.
- Iron the wax out. Place the fabric between two sheets of absorbent paper and run the iron over the sandwiched fabric. The wax can leave behind a residue, so use care to ensure the wax is removed. Periodically changing out the papers can aid in wax removal

Google 'Batik' tie dye if you get stuck :)

PS: depending on the colour of the shirt you may need to spray white haze before you spray your colour just so it stands out more.

I may have to try that, but if I do, it'll be on an old, ratty t-shirt that I'm going to throw away in case the color stays on the shirt with the wax. I don't want to screw up a tank top and have to buy another one. Sure, I could conceivably fix it with paint, but if I can avoid it, why not?

Thanks for the tip; I'll definitely give that a shot as well, because I know I've got paraffin wax at home at the moment...

My wife is wanting me to airbrush a t-shirt for her to wear to San Diego Comic-Con in about 3 weeks (eek!) and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how I would best approach doing a stencil for a portion of it.

She wants a tank top with this on the "Pocket" area:

And because she wants that "haze" effect behind the text, I kinda have an idea how to do it, but it'd involve a stencil.

Here's the issue I have, however - I'm not sure how I'd get it to be aligned correctly!! Anyone have an idea for the best way to do this? I've heard someone say to use frisket material, but I'm not even sure how that would work; I've never worked with frisket before, so the only thing I know is it's kinda sticky...If someone could please throw me a bone on this one, I'd be grateful. :)
They way i do it is:
Print your text onto some paper
Cut it out
Use some temporary glue, you can buy a small can for a couple of £/$
Stick it to your Tshirt
Fill in your lettering
After your happy with it remove the stencil then haze lightly around your lettering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back