Stencil vs. freehand (and other questions)

N

Neural

The sunset type piece I'm working on currently is going to have some silhouettes on it. Islands, trees, etc.

I've been considering using a stencil (hand cut, or even frisket) to do this, but I'd like to know if there are any benefits to doing something like this free hand?

Also, from the stencil angle, can standard thin frisket be folded flat? Being that it is an ocean scene, I'd like to draw my outline with a sharpie while it's folded, so that I get an even "mirror" from top to bottom. Especially with any palm trees I might put in. Would love to know if there are other methods to do this too.

(also: If this post has some coherency issues, please bear with me. Am trying to have a functional day while dealing with a stomach flu)

The thing is using the right tools to get the thing you want. They both have benefits and drawbacks.

Not sure quite what you mean about the image and folding, maybe a couple of pictures to show what you mean...

The thing is using the right tools to get the thing you want. They both have benefits and drawbacks.

Not sure quite what you mean about the image and folding, maybe a couple of pictures to show what you mean...

oh. Sorry. um.. have you ever taken a piece of paper and folded it up, then cut pieces out of it to make a snowflake?

If you fold a piece just once (in half), then cut along the crease, it will create a mirror image like effect when you unfold it.

I'll experiment with a small piece of frisket to see if it works. instead of cutting, I just want to draw onto it (it is semi-transparent, so if I flip it over I can then trace the lines on the 2nd half, so when it is unfolded and applied to the artwork, I get nice mirror image).

I'm not sure about frisket, but if you put a crease in it, it might affect how flat it gets?

You could always fold and cut a template, then trace that onto the frisket?

I'm not sure about frisket, but if you put a crease in it, it might affect how flat it gets?

You could always fold and cut a template, then trace that onto the frisket?

Actually that would probably be the best option. Thank you.

frisket will give you sharp edges if that is what you want it is perfect however if you want soft edges use a plain paper stencil and hold it down with a little tape to the outside

oh. Sorry. um.. have you ever taken a piece of paper and folded it up, then cut pieces out of it to make a snowflake?

If you fold a piece just once (in half), then cut along the crease, it will create a mirror image like effect when you unfold it.

I'll experiment with a small piece of frisket to see if it works. instead of cutting, I just want to draw onto it (it is semi-transparent, so if I flip it over I can then trace the lines on the 2nd half, so when it is unfolded and applied to the artwork, I get nice mirror image).

Yup, when they say a picture paint a thousand words they aren't kidding... The risk you run is an annoying crease in the frisket.

Back