Stencils

D

Daniel D

hey guys! When I take off atencils, it seems to either scratch the paint underneath when I try to get under the stencil or the sticky stuff on the stencil stays on.

When I go to stick the stencil on I should wait until it's TOTALLY dry correct? That will solve the sticky stuff being left behind?

And what should I use so when I go underneath the stencil, it doesn't take the paint up as well that's underneath the stencil.

AND when do I take the stencil off? When the paint is wet or when it's dried?

Thanks guys!! Appreciate all the help you guys have been providing!

What stencils are you using and what paint?
You need to help us out a bit here mate.
Also, why not fill out your profile so we know where you are in the world ;)

Hi, Daniel,
As above; just so we know what you want to do.
Are you using a contact adhesive on the stencil?
If so, are you sticking it to some fabric BEFORE you position it or do you place it directly onto your work?
The various types of paint react differently to stencils dependant on a lot of things, like air pressure , what material the stencil is made of etc, so it helps if we know a bit about what you're trying to achieve, so as we can help out a bit better, that's all.
Not that we're all nosey or nothing.
Generally, I wait a short while till the paint is still "tacky", then lift the stencil off.
It leaves a clean, sharp line behind it.
Then I have to try and fade it so it doesn't look like I used one. Lmao!lol:laugh:

Yes I use vinyl adhesive sheets and have a machine to cut the atencils out!

I wanna know what to use song don't scratch the paint of when I take it off. I was thinkig tweezers and just plucking it off instead of trying to dig underneath the stencil

as its a vinyl adhesive sheet you can make it stick less by sticking it to your shirt/pants a few times then put it in place.

@Daniel D I don't think these guys understand your question. Let me see if I have it right.

The stencil itself isn't picking up the paint, it's when you are actually "fishing" a corner up to start the removal process... correct? So when you use an x-acto to lift the edge, it inadvertently digs into the paint leaving a mark.

I could easily see this happening, especially if you are using very small masks with lots of detail.

Solution.. I don't have one. I would like to see how others get this done as well.

@Daniel D Solution.. I don't have one. I would like to see how others get this done as well.

The solution is to firstly detack the stencil by sticking it to your clothes as mentioned and then remove the stencil by applying a piece of high tack tape such as sellotape to pull the stencil instead of trying to get under it with any sharp objects such as exacto blades, finger nails, etc. ;)

The solution is to firstly detack the stencil by sticking it to your clothes as mentioned and then remove the stencil by applying a piece of high tack tape such as sellotape to pull the stencil instead of trying to get under it with any sharp objects such as exacto blades, finger nails, etc. ;)
Very, very clever tip there @Madbrush I hadn't thought of that ,,,,,,,

Back